cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling possible fraudulence

I listed a brand new engagement ring with papers and proof of inspection included, the first person who won the auction for this listing had their account terminated and I was then contacted by ebay about a possible fraudulent account. I was then also emailed not through ebay but through my personal email address by another person that goes as follows : 
I am Katy ____ from London, UK and my ebay id is stella1607 and i have 2067 positive feedback on eBay. I made the payment through ebay and they will contact you with notifications regarding our deal.I made the payment $2900 with all the shipping cost included. Have you got the ebay notifications? Please send the package today with UPS(no other company,NO FEDEX or USPS) so i can get it Monday morning. Don't send the package with the real value because i will pay 30% of value like customs fees and i don't want. Put $100 like value on the package when you fill the custom forms and everything it will be ok. Mail me back asap.

Please check your email carefully because sometimes emails from ebay with notifications regarding the payment are sent in spam or junk folder. Let me know asap.

My ebay account has not received any notification of such a transaction, nor does my account activity show that this item was re-listed or sold, not only that but payment transaction have not been shown through ebay or my paypal. In fact, this listing still  shows that the previous buyer had still won it even thought their account was terminated, so I tried to cancel the order but whenever I tried to cancel it, an error message popped up showing that ebay was having a hiccup and could not cancel the order. 

I also received an ebay payment confirmation for the item but I have never received such emails before through my personal email just through my ebay account

the email is as follows: 

We have rigorously examined the payment for item 14k natural 3 stone white gold engagement ring size 7 Jared Galleria of Jewelry ( 321746150963) by eBay Member (stella1607Red star icon for Feedback score between 1,000 to 4,999)amount sent to you is $ 2,900.00.
This transaction is in order and legal. You shall receive the said amount as soon as you send the shipment's tracking number. This transaction is not fraudulent and you are assured of quality service. We encourage you to ship the item immediately as your payment has been confirmed by us. Security is of critical importance at eBay. 
We use proprietary technology - and constantly innovate - to help ensure your transactions are safe. In addition, eBay has over 1000 people worldwide dedicated to keeping ebay accounts safe, and stopping online criminals. And we work with Internet Service Providers (ISPs) worldwide to shut off fraudulent websites as soon as possible.
eBay's Fraud Investigation Team is highly experienced in fraud prevention. Several members of the team are former law enforcement officials with extensive experience in fighting online fraud. eBay fraud investigation team focuses on: Identifying and preventing fraud before it occurs, Detecting fraud in process Mitigating loss, if fraud does occur, Delivering information to law enforcement around the world to help stop those committing online fraud. 
eBay Customer Protection.

eBay Member   Katy Rolens (stella1607) is legaly supported by eBay and it is insured by our Security Team. Transactions with this eBay buyer are covered by purchase protection against fraud and description errors. For your safety, this account was locked, for 30 days time period. The buyer is unable to withdraw any money from it, within this period. We strongly recommend you to complete our request about the transaction with: Katy Rolens ,134A Palmerston Road ,Walthamstow, London, Zip Code:E17 6PY, United Kingdom.

Complete the transaction in 5 easy steps:

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/asteriskG_10x10.gif
 Buyer and Seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay Customer Support with the transaction details;
 eBay Customer Support accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the Buyer and the Seller (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from neither Buyer or Seller);
 The Buyer receives an invoice and sends the payment to eBay Transactions Safe. After the payment is verified by eBay Transactions Safe Support, the Seller will be notified by eBay Transactions Safe to initiate the shipping .
The seller must E-mail* eBay Transaction Safe (ebay@shipping-safe.com)  the following shipping informations:  
   Tracking Number 
   Sender's Name and Address  
   Receiver's Name and Address 
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/asteriskG_10x10.gifeBay Transaction Safe departament will verify the tracking number and will release the money to the Seller within 24-48 hours.

http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/asteriskG_10x10.gif The Buyer receives the item and must confirm transaction in two days.  

My main concern is of whether or not ebay actually sends emails like this, if I ship how can they guarantee that a user will pay within two days and what can they do if they don't? 
I am new at this and I would be very grateful for any direction or help that can be provided! Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope to hear back soon!
View Entire Topic

That message is from a THIEF that is attempting to scam you. eBay would NEVER encourage any of the things suggested here.

Do not even reply. Just walk away. This thief is trying to appeal to your sense of greed by asking you to ship quickly via a method that will make it impossible to retrieve the package.

As a zero feedback seller that is listing an expensive item, you will be targeted by thieves. Be VERY CAREFUL with any and all buyers. The internet has become a haven for scams similar to this. Congratulations for not falling for it.

BTW...do not CANCEL the first sale, file an unpaid item report and close it 4 days later  to get your fees refunded, or you will be forced to pay 10% of the sale price as a final value fee to eBay.