cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum Bids

I was the first bidder on an item with an initial minimum bid of $9.99.  I entered a maximum bid of $12.30, thinking it would go in at $9.99 initially, then rise as needed to my maximum amount.  But, the bid immediately showed up as a first bid of $12.30.  Do "maximum bids" not work with first bids?

Supplemental info:  First, an admission:  The item price was $.99, and my bid was $1.23.  Same scenario, but I wasn't sure "the community" would be willing to help some dweeb bidding on a 99 cent item (# 252103915568).  Based on your very kind and thorough responses, I'm sure I underestimated you!  Anyway, I looked at the bid history, and saw that my $1.23 bid was the first bid, but it somehow triggered a $.99 automatic bid from another bidder.  So, now my question is, how does one enter an automatic bid at the initial bid amount without the bid showing at the initial bid amount!?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Now that you have provided an item number, I can better assess the situation.

You were NOT the first bidder. The bidder with (1066) feedback bid before you. You should have seen [1 bid] at the time you placed your bid.There were 2 more bidders after the both of you bid.

When you bid, the price was at the starting price of .99, but there was already a bidder on the item.

Since that bidder had no competition, the price stayed at the starting bid price of .99 until YOU bid $1.23.

At that point, the other bidder's bid was automatically increased to one increment above you, keeping them in the lead until someone else came along and bid $1.75, which again increased the original bidder's maximum to their maximum which was $1.81.

Then the current high bidder placed their bid on the 30th and placed a bit which is AT LEAST $2.03. You won't see their maximum until they are outbid.

If you click on "show automatic bids" you can get a better picture of what occurred.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=252103915568&showauto=true

If you REALLY want the item, you will have to determine exactly how much you would be willing to spend on the item, and place that bid. If you are outbid, you can walk away without regret knowing someone else would be willing to spend more than you.

Good luck!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

What you want to look up is "proxy bidding".  This is where other maximum bids are pending (previously placed), but only shown when they exceed an existing lower bid.

Often there are slight time delays, or you are on one page placing your bid, when someone else is also placing theirs at the same time.  Then when you return to the listing you suddenly see other bids that weren't there when you were placing yours.