cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know if my Buyer is real and not a scam?

I've just listed a rather expensive item ($950) and had someone buy the item within 24 hours. This person just created their account today. the phone number and area code does not match the phone number that is listed in their ebay info. the user name also looks fishy. How do I know this is real and what are the risks going forward with this buyer? Is this some kind of scam?

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

If your buyer, instead of paying, emails and asks for your Paypal email address...

They are a scammer. Legitimate buyers do not need a Paypal email address, but scammers need them to send fake emails stating that you have been paid, when in fact you haven't been.

So if the buyer contacts you and asks for your Paypal email address - open an unpaid item complaint 48 hours after the listing is over, then if they don't pay, close the complaint 4 days later and relist the item.

Before you relist...

Go to your preferences and block bidders with primary addresses in countries you don't ship to, bidders who do not have a Paypal account and those with 2 or more unpaid item complaints within the year.

New Sellers who attempt to sell expensive items are magnets to scammers.

Do not believe any email you receive, do not click on any links contained in emails, always check to make sure Paypal has the money and states that it is okay to ship before you ship.

Answers (0)