cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling a purchase after the seller has removed the item

I have bought a suspiciously cheap tablet today (item 121775582570), and the listing was soon completely removed from eBay.

I would like to cancel the purchase because I am pretty sure it's a scam, but when I go to eBay's online Customer service/resolution center it doesn't work.

If I go through the steps shown on the help page (Buying -> After your purchase -> Cancel a purchase), it shows a list of items I bought, but as soon as I select it, it shows a message claiming I am "not buying that item". The software is probably "confused" since the item doesn't exist anymore (although it's weird eBay allows a listing to be completely obliterated after selling it to more than 100 people?)

eBay customer service page claims I haven't bought the item, right after I select it from the list of bought items

My Paypal indicates that the payment was processed, and, the item is still shown in my Purchase history (but it has no image anymore).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

--- UPDATE ---

Thanks for the suggestion, @sunnysouth1, but it turned out, a couple of hours after the purchase, I received the following e-mail message from eBay:

Hello vgrud,

Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from mixomatoss through eBay's messaging system. We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have compromised this member's account security. It’s important to note that we’re unaware of any problems with your account. We recommend the following precautions to help keep you safe:

- Don't respond to offers to buy or sell an item from this user. The offer may be fraudulent, and the transaction won't be covered by eBay.
- Don't respond to any messages you received from this user that appear to be a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on.
- Never pay for eBay items using instant cash wire-transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment with these methods.

But the problem is:

1. I haven't received any message from mixomatoss.

2. I have already made the transaction.

3. I have made the transaction through eBay/Paypal.

So, it appears I was right: the listing was a scam, and eBay's initial message suggesting I should "wait for the item to arrive" was misleading. 

Since the item is supposed to be covered by "Money Back Guarantee", I feel like I am being cheated by both the seller and eBay/Paypal. Also, this seems to be a regular scam on eBay; whenever I search for a 10" tablet, there is a couple of listings for ~20USD from accounts with ~1 year of seller inactivity (but ratings displayed as 95 to 100%). E.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/191708839856 (same tablet, 61 items sold at the time of writing).

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)