cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer cheated me

Hi. I sold an item a few months back to a buyer - it was an internal hard drive in perfect working order. I had tested it, formatted it and confirmed it was even in warranty. Listed it with very high res photos, and explained how long it had been in use and where it was being removed from. I specified a 15 day return policy.

About 32 days after recieving the drive, giving me positive feedback, and thanking me I got an email claiming the drive failed a smart test. I said ok, please give me your phone number and I will give you a call to double check a few things. Then I got an essay back that it was in a RAID system, and that it was working fine but recently failed the smart, and there were som other suspicious things that he went on to detail, none of which made any sense. Of course, he did not send a phone number to contact him. I asked again for a phone number. I wanted to confirm from him, and hear him explain what happened before I decided to proceed. Back and forth, more accusations, never a phone number. He started demanding I prove the drive was working when I sent it out.

Sigh.

Then he claimed it wasn't what was pictured. He claimed it was a different drive I sold him, and a bunch of other mumbo jumbo. I said look, I don't have time for this, and I asked ebay to step in and told him that if he had never done something like this before, then they would probalby side with him. Which they did. But here is the kicker at the end of all of this.

He sent back an empty box with another cardboard box in it. Literally. Nothing in it. I got charged for shipping both ways, he got a working drive for free. I apealed the case, and of course the case was denied.

I had several other weird interactions, a few dishonest people and ebay has never to this point had my back in any of this. I feel cheated, ripped off. Yet I am an honest person, I post photos and state the exact condition things are in, ship fast and ask every buyer if everything arrived ok and if there were any suprises or if it was exactly as described etc.

I have stopped selling on ebay completely, yet can't really find another marketplace that is working for me yet. Craigs is a joke, and amazon is something I am looking into. But not sure. Any thoughts? How do I avoid getting ripped off again like that since ebay refuses to support seillers? Seems like they let buyers act like baboons, and scammers...the sheer amount of times also that ebay managed to take 60 days to refund my sale credits on these guys that would buy and then not pay - and in several instances they didn't refund the fees at all. It felt dishonest, the whole thing. Am I looking at this wrong? Please inform. Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (0)