cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographing Jewelry-Need Help

I need help choosing a camera that can take pictures of very tiny makers marks, along with clear pics of the jewelry.  Can anyone reccomend specific cameras and model numbers.  Do I want high optical zoom or high digital zoom.  I should also say, it needs to be point and shoot.  Any help would be much appreciated.  I am lost choosing the right mid price camera.

Pam

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Photographing Jewelry-Need Help

Rubiano, those are very good pictures! Good details of the jewelry!
Nothing is impossible for God.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Maybe this would be helpful to research various cameras by feature (educational info only):

http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_m...

For me, the biggest factor is my poor skill level; despite much studying and practice I have never been able to "get it down to a science". Usually end up taking way too many pictures and sorting through them. Photos are my big hurdle in getting things listed. That, and my reluctance to let go of my treasures.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

As for skill level, I'd say, if it looks good in the view finder then it will probably be a good photo. One idea is to stabilize the camera on something, like a book, so that there is no wobble at all when the shutter is clicked open. 

If your camera has a macro setting then you should be all set. Digital cameras  around $100 and even less have a macro setting. 

If you can get the basics down - crop and resize - take a photo at the camera's highest resolution first and then do the cropping and resizing. You will end up with a good photo.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

@rubiano98 wrote:

As for skill level, I'd say, if it looks good in the view finder then it will probably be a good photo. One idea is to stabilize the camera on something, like a book, so that there is no wobble at all when the shutter is clicked open. 

If your camera has a macro setting then you should be all set. Digital cameras  around $100 and even less have a macro setting. 

If you can get the basics down - crop and resize - take a photo at the camera's highest resolution first and then do the cropping and resizing. You will end up with a good photo.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I've got the focus and detail down pretty well. What I still struggle with is things like color, lighting, reflections. Still fiddling with camera settings, various types of light tent situations, etc. Sometimes I get it right and photo comes out great, just can't get it down to be repeatable and get each photo right the first time! Definitely improving with practice though.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

I use a Canon PowerShot 3.2 mega pixels..it is a little old now, but to your question about hallmarks I use a

magnifying glass against the lens & take maybe 2 or 3 pics of the marks. I then sharpen the pic & am satisifed with

the results. Also go to a store that has cameras on view & where you can handle them...take a coin with you & see the

Macro function you feel meets your needs...Loveoldstuff-Lil

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

This is a helpful site:

Google: Camera Jim's Guide

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/

Larry

On the Chisholm Trail.
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Thank you for your reply and advice.  I'm really grateful to learn about pixel amount and resizing issues.

So much to learn!

Pamela

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Wow! Really nice pictures and great for buyers to evaluate the bracelet. What resolution did you choose for them?

I'm really grateful for the advice. Thanks!

Pamela
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Great advice! Thank you so much. You've just saved me hundreds of dollars!
Message 24 of 24
latest reply