cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what type of pearl is this?

Unusual piece in that the pearl is on the inside...what color or type of pearl would this be? I've been dying to sacrifice the entire piece to satisfy my curiosity, but of course that is foolish...also, on the second piece I can read all but the last word, I have tried various searches with it pertaining to the composition, but is this a jewelry term I simply haven't heard? Very possible as this is not my field, it will probably be incredibly obvious once someone points it out...these are both large pieces with .925 marks, so I don't think it pertains to the metal..I think..no idea, Thanks V76IMG_5881.JPGIMG_5880.JPGIMG_5873.JPGIMG_5874.JPGIMG_5876.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

blister pearl

The last word is a possibly shortened "argentium"

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Maybe a blister pearl?

The seconf I don't know wha tthat last word is but the stone is moss agate like it says. Maybe that's the name of the person who made the piece?

I like the moss agate piece Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

YES! Bravo! When I looked for the silver mark I stopped, admittedly at the .9, argentium is .935, you nailed it. Thank you. Blister pearl is the consensus it looks like, I will google. Thank you both! I have never even heard of  a blister pearl, I cannot wait to find out about it. Once again this board is lightning fast and accurate. Many thanks, V76

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thank you, yep, never even heard of a blister pearl in all my years, and in 3 minutes 2 of you identified it, I am very grateful for that. The moss piece is large, 3' long, I bought it years ago and am just now getting around to identifying, it really is an attractive piece I agree! Thank you for your speedy reply, V76

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

You may also run across the term mabe  pearls (pronounced mah bay,)  this guide may help some.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/What-are-Mabe-Pearls-/10000000017338726/g.html

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I think you solved it, but I cannot for some reason find an option to mark as "solved" as in other posts, I appreciate your help, and if the option pops up at some point, I will use it happily, Thank You again, V76

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes, how funny! I saw the word, but my mind pronounced it ( MAY-BE) like , " you can't actually SEE it, so maybe it is a pearl" Thank you for that because I can actually tell you I would have moved on thinking I was pronouncing it correctly and getting the imaginary irony, Best, V76

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Boards have the "solved" option.  This is a group, which does not  Not sure why, as both pretty much function the same way, but that's how it is!

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

Aha! I always wondered about the accept as solution button
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Common name is blister pearls, proper name is a "Mabe'". Have enclosed a picture of a trimmed shell with 2 still on it before they are to be cut off. You can buy these as souvenirs from most tropical pearl growing areas. Often the form to-day is a plastic dome, hopeless as they often can be crunched, and also the plastic is inclined to stop sticking to the nacre'. many have I had to restick. warning they won't last. The best have a mother of pearl dome , more expensive of course. The second picture is of the latter, hence I have made them in 18ct.Jillian.Mabe twin.jpg

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Quick add. the green you see is often the outer colour on the dark frilly edge to these shells, also on the backs before they are cleaned. J
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

I really had no idea all of this "pearl growing" it is fascinating! I am still reading through links, Thank You for the information! V76

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The piece is an artisan made piece in a style that would be referred to as a wire wrap pendant.  Who ever made it is very good.  You can tell by how tight the wraps are and how fluid the design is.  There are some factory made, made to look like wire wraps but this one is the real deal.  It's also common for modern wire wrap artist to use the Argentium silver.  It is a lovely piece and the initials probably belong to the artist but you'll have a hard time pinning them down unless they have a large body of work out there.  You might try browsing wire wrap pendants on Etsy on the off chance you can find the artist.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Yes, having it in hand is so different than seeing it in photos, it really is exquisite, and my picture taking I think does not do it justice. Such intricate detail, a work of love I think! The initials drive it home that someone labored over this, it makes it real ( and personal) ...Thank You for looking,  and your insight, V76

Message 15 of 15
latest reply