cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

raised half sphere glass over picture

Can't for the life of me remember what this type of glass is called--intaglio? bubble glass? goofus?  HELP

IMG_1058.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Not intaglio. Intaglio is when a design is impressed into glass or carved into stone - it's the opposite of cameo, which is a raised design.

Goofus is a special case involving designs painted directly onto the back side of glass; I looked it up once but have forgotten. It's a keyword that gets confused and misapplied frequently, so Google is your friend and make sure you're on firm ground.

I'd use bubble. Also look very carefully with your loupe to see whether the design is painted or printed; if printed it will be made up of tiny dots. And note whether the lenses are glass or plastic.

You might also want to look up Essex crystal - I turned that term up on Pinterest and am not sure exactly what it is, but it looked like a reverse painted waterfowl under a clear dome. Your set might have been made to imitate that style.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sometimes called "magnifier glass".

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I looked up Essex crystal and that sure sounds like it could be the name, but I think people use bubble glass also.  Maybe I'll use both when I list to be safe and reach a wider audience. I hadn't heard of magnifier glass but that too would be appropriate.  Thanks to you both for the help.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

To be true "Essex crystal" (which is itself a misnomer, as Essex apparently never had anything to do with these!), the piece should be a reverse-carved and painted -- i.e. intaglio -- clear quartz (aka "rock crystal"). From the pic you showed, looks like this might be impressed glass? If you google images for "Essex crystal," you'll see the difference...
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

It is very hard to tell, but I think perhaps it is a picture and not reverse carved--I have several pieces like this and I can see a difference between ones that seem reverse carved and colored and just a flat picture.  Thanks for all the help.  I had better just call it bubble glass.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply