cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Vintage Sterling" mark ..this was on a ring discussed on the old JB

There was a thread posted on the old board  discussing a reproduction filigree Deco style sterling ring set with an  amethyst glass intaglio of a woman. The mark on it was quite interesting because it included the word Vintage.

The reason I'm posting this thread is because yesterday I bought a brooch that has the identical mark that was on that ring.It also had an original tag on it indicating it had been made in Thailand. Not sure if this info was known before so thought I'd share it here.

013.JPG 

017.JPG

011.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I remember the mark, but I don't think we ever knew where it was coming from.  Thanks for sharing.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I remember that discussion, it is possible that I even started it.  Thanks for that information!

I sold both that and a flip cameo ring, as the reproductions that they were...I like repros as long as they are not being sold as antique.  And I'm pretty sure that the "amethyst" was glass...

Actually, I got into a rather "heated" discussion at Christie Antique Show with a vendor who was selling that exact same ring (the amethyst intaglio).  He had it marked as Art Deco, and was asking an arm and a leg for it.  I told him that it was a repro, and he told me that he had been in the business for forever and how dare I suggest such a thing.  He had purchased it from an old lady's estate, yada yada.   I replied that it wasn't my concern how long he had been in the business, but he was wrong.  What annoyed me was the good possibility that someone might actually think that it was antique and sell it later as one, as well...

I should have minded my own business, because it got me nowhere, lol.  He went on his phone and pulled up a few listings from ebay that were the same ring, same manufacturer, and being sold as art deco.  So, he "proved me wrong", in his mind. 

You know how it goes, if it is on the internet, it must be true...

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Hi K and Sandy,

The brooch  has a great look until you really check it out closely, and then it fails, it's obviously cast from a mold, and the fineness of deco filigree is just not there.

I haven't the faintest clue when it was made, could have been made last week in Chiang Mai! Definitely not of the period.

Despite this, it really is quite an attractive brooch and for the price ($10) not a bad buy. Trouble is when someone thinks its the real deal and it gets listed and sold as period Deco ..and a zero is added to the price!

I have always wanted to go to the Christie Show and every year vow that I'm going to .. as yet, I haven't got round to it. I would love to know who that dealer was ... LOL, K, it's quite a small world really, this world of antique jewelry in Ontario.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Yes, as nice as the "Vintage" things are, they are definitely repros when you have them in hand...but, still fairly good quality and very pretty.  There is a flip ring currently listed (or just finished) that is priced as though it is deco, and I'd love to let the seller know that it isn't, but I have learned not to say anything, lol.

Christie is great, but you have some wonderful dealers in Ottawa who would more than hold their own against the sellers at Christie.  Most of the "usuals" who do the circuit are there...you know it is twice a year...May and September...

The vendor in question is grumpy as heck, has several cases of really amazing things that are priced way too high, and even a deal with him is outrageous, but every now and then he has things that I just "have to have"...knowing that there is no room for resale, in fact I'd take a pretty big loss if I tried to resell his goods...so I make really really sure that I want it before I buy from him.

He's at the Toronto antique market weekly, unless doing a show...

LOL

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Hmmmm, K ... I think I know who you mean ... if I am thinking of the same man ....he has not been blessed with a particularly pleasant disposition shall we say??  He does the mall shows here in Ottawa. Then again there are so many grumpy old men with overpriced goods  in this business that it's hard to differentiate sometimes!

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Lol, so true...

He wears turquoise rings and bracelets, he has a silent partner who has great taste, but you never see her.  Ha, and I think that he sleeps in his car rather than pay for hotels,  possibly a park bench (just kidding).

Seriously, he could have starred in "Grumpy Old Men"...

If you come this way for Christie, let me know!!!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Yup, same guy. The turquoise  jewelry is the give away.

For sure, and if you are ever in Ottawa, let me know!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I'm a lot farther south, but I think I know the same guy.(LOL) There are a lot of men who fit that description. The clue seems to be the turquoise; I swear all the grumpy ones seem to wear a ton of it.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I remember on the old board , last year that I told everyone about the man at our Antique mall that was selling these big beautiful bling things spiders and such that had beautiful stones in them for $40.00 and $50.00 , they were selling like hot cakes and they were necklaces and brooches.

When I picked one up, I thought how did he get so many big and beautiful vintage things.. Well I looked for spiders and bling on e-bay and found they came from China and were being sold for under $5.00 and $10.00.  He was making a fortune.. It really ticked me off. I said , don't you tell your customes you get those things from China? He said Why??? I just let it go..

Message 10 of 10
latest reply