cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help identify marks on vintage enamel & rhinestone bird brooch

I picked this brooch up at a garage sale this summer. This bird is missing more than a few rhinestones and has some chipped paint (enamel?) The backside has small raised dots circles. I'm not sure if that is a makers mark? Any thoughts are appreciated, Thank you! 

012.JPG

005.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Huh! Front looks like an older piece, but the back makes me think newer. The squared off catch is a modern type. Could it be a replacement?
See if you can take a rubbing of the raised dots; they look like they're in a pattern.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

The clasp end looks like it could be an older safety pin style. A side view might show this. If so, a possible date is around the Mid 20th Century. Maybe from Europe.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Here is a side view. Im sorry my photo skills are not that great! The lighting makes the back look shiny & newer than it actually is. I bought quite a few pieces from a very nice older lady at her garage sale. She was very excited that I bought them (not for the money-I paid under $1 per item). I think she just wanted them to find a good home and be appreciated 🙂 She asked me if I collected vintage jewelry and told me a little about them as she rung them up. I bought almost everything she had there. My sister & her little kiddos were with us so I didnt get to chat very long. She told me this one was very old and maybe she said this one was her mothers. I cant say for sure this was the one she said was her moms. I will try a rubbing and see if theres a pattern. 

IMG_20150804_132312.jpgIMG_20150804_132312.jpg

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Thank you, that is a great resource site! I did not find mine but I've bookmarked it for others 🙂

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I did not think the catch look replaced at first, but you may be right. If it was replaced it was soldered on. I may have to bring it in to a jeweler because I just dont know enough looking at it myself. Thank you all so much for you help! You are all fantastic and I really appreciate it! Im going to try and see if I can do a rubbing! 

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I believe the clasp looks original. Similar can be found on silver pins from the early 1900s. This is a Costume piece but could have used same clasp style.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

that raised dot pattern is seen on a lot of early pot metal brooches.  They are similar to Little Nemo in style, and from the same era.  Its not a makers mark, probably part of the molding process

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for that second set of pics that shows the "safety pin" catch. Much clearer - front and back now look consistent. My guess is 30s.

flotsamlogo
Message 10 of 10
latest reply