cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

???bakelite??fakelite???

O.K. so I've been messing around with this braclet for a couple of weeks.

When I first picked it up I thought these were bakelite, much "weightier" than plastic or amber.

So I heated up some water and put the beads in it-I'm getting faint funky smell, not the strong smell I associate with bakelite (yes I am a smoker, so I know that does diminish my sense of smell.)

So then I tried 409, I'm getting a reddish-brown result, not the standard brownish -yellow nicotine coloring.

They "sound" like bakelite.

So whatcha think cherry bakelite, fakelite or something else?

Thanks to everyone who looks!

Pauline

141.JPG

143.JPG

145.JPG

144.JPG

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

???bakelite??fakelite???

I'm not sure . Bakelite is not my strong suit .

I do remember ( I think it was Sandy ) saying that the new formula of 409 does not work like the old 409 did . Something about they changed the formula sooooo maybe this is why your getting a reddish brown result ?

Mermaid 🐳
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

You could be right mermaid, this is the bottle I've been using. My results are usually more yellow than what I'm seeing.

I keep saying I'm going to pick up simachrome (did I spell that right?) but of course I never do. Then I was reading somewhere that someone used toothpaste to test bakelite??? 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

I also remember them suggesting Wrights silver polish cream . Inexpensive and sold at walmarts , etc.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

I use semichrome it will last a long timejust need a dab. I also clean what ever it is first so no false result. The only thing is black seems to be harder to get a result

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

I think when hubby goes out today I'm going to have him look for either the Wrights or Semichrome.

Thanks everyone!

Pauline

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

Keep us posted . You have my curiosity up . The color sure is pretty , whatever it is . Reminds me of Hawaiian Ku Kui nuts , but they have a different shape .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

grrrr the Wrights silver polish cream just turns purple!!!!!

Then I was doing some more reading and the artilces I read stated that black and red don't always get positive results 😞

I gotta get someone with a "good" nose to sniff these :):):)

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

I have a big chunky necklace that has the same type beads, turns purplish with simichrome. I have yet to figure out what they are, I know that does not help you any. But if you figure them out let me know.

necklaces166.jpg

necklaces170.jpg

Photobucket
"Today is a Gift that is why it is called the Present"
Sheila
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

How frustrating ! I always hear that about the black , but now red too ?!!! Sheila's necklace is a match !

Mermaid 🐳
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

OMG sheiliam, these could be a set. So very fustrating......

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

They are not bakelite. They have a high sheen,  reminds me of candy apple red. I picked it up at an estate sale about 5-6 years ago

Photobucket
Sheila
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

They are chunky...I am talking about the beads..not me...LOL

necklaces147.jpg

Photobucket
Sheila
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

They look like Bing Cherries . The necklace , not your ....well you get the point .....LOL !!!

Mermaid 🐳
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

???bakelite??fakelite???

Mine aren't quite so, hummm chunky 🙂 very impressive

sheilakrm.
The beads I mean the beads-well you don't look so bad your own bad self :):)
Message 15 of 27
latest reply