cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another mystery set

GI reat colors, shows very well, unmarked. again. Again I cannot imagine someone not wanting to take credit, seems so odd to me. Regards V76 and thank you for looking!IMG_6198.JPGIMG_6199.JPGIMG_6202.JPGIMG_6196.JPG

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

another mystery set

That is indeed a lovely set.

As for "taking credit," a great deal of costume jewelry was manufactured as "open lines," meaning it was wholesaled to department stores to be retailed under the store's house label. The "credit" would have been on a card or paper hangtag, or even on a store-branded gift box.

Additionally, even some design houses used cards or hangtags rather than signing the piece itself. I've had Weiss earrings on cards but otherwise unsigned, and D&E used only a paper hangtag to mark their Juliana line. So nothing the least bit odd about an unsigned beauty of this quality.

flotsamlogo
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Thank You, so much still I need to learn, but I stumbled on another set that is marked " KARU ARKE" while doing another search today, the earrings are dead ringers,the brooches no, mine is far more substantial,if I could figure out how to copy a listing in my post successfully ( I have failed) I would do so...what do you think? Karu ArkeV76 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Blue is right.  This set could have been made by any number of manufactures.  I personally have not seen or been able to find any signed Karu Arke earrings that use the type of prongs seen on the large oval stones of this set.  If it is a listing here on eBay you can post the number if it is somewhere else, just go to the page and then copy the http:/ address line and past it here.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

I could be WAY off, but the listing # is 252285060313 , ( and  to whom it may concern...if you are reading this, and this is your offering I am humbly trying to identify, not compete with your listing, Regards, V76) the earrings are right I think, but is this good or bad news for my set? This is so confusing at times, V76

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

So what are you seeing that is simular between your earrings and the ones in the listing you posted?

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Ok, you can say it, I'm seeing something that may not be there, but speaking strictly about the earrings now,  the construction, the prongs and that great glossy  hard candy look of the glass, all seems very similar, the color and shapes of the glass, yep, I freely admit I have much to learn, Thank God the set I just listed is actually marked Karu, I would have a heck of a time with that one, so you're not seeing anything that would be remotely similar? I absolutely look to others more experienced than I, bummer, I thought I solved it! Oh well, much to learn. V76 ( am I using "glass " correctly?)

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

What construction elements are you seeing that are similar?  I see that the colors are similar, but these color combinations are quit common.  You stated that the prongs are similar.  I pulled your second picture and isolated the picture of your earring.  Take a look at the prongs that I have pointed out....

Prongs.jpg

Now look at the prongs on the example you referenced.  Also take a look at the type of clip used on the earrings, they are not the same at all. 

When looking at construction details to be used to try and identify a specific unsigned item, all of these construction elements are important.  You also mention the shape of the stones, but they don't match either.  Which is why I asked what you were seeing that made you compare what you have to what you posted thinking they were similar.

Yes, I belive you are using the term "glass" correctly in both your piece and the Karu Arke set. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

What a great response, Thank You! Yes, I see exactly what you are saying, so then, is it a plus or a negative in terms of collectivity? A nice set is a nice set, but not having that undeniable identification...a name to point to? Thank You again, V76

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

It all depends on what the person is looking for.  Just like in clothing, there will always be the people that will ONLY wear name brand clothes.  In the collecting jewelry world there are those that ONLY want identified pieces, whether identified by a signature, books or attributes.  I think Blue explained very well how some of those pieces end up with signatures.  I have found three exact same pieces, two carried totally different signatures and the third one wasn't signed at all.  Personally, if a piece appeals to me, I don't care if it is signed or not.  Have I hunted down a particular signed piece, yes I have, but I wanted the piece, not the signature.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Excellent, Thank You for the advice, I truly do appreciate that you took your time to help me with all of these queries, I value it! V76

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

V76, you might want to think about starting to build a set of reference books on costume jewelry. Good places to start are Collecting Costume Jewelry 101 by Julia Carroll, How to Be a Jewelry Detective by C. Jeanenne Bell, and Unsigned Beauties of Costume Jewelry by Marcia "Sparkles" Brown - there are also 2 companion volumes of Signed Beauties.

flotsamlogo
Message 12 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Smiley WinkYes, probably a good idea, I didn't really realize how many beautiful pieces are unmarked, this round of jewelry was an eye opener, easy to do the "easy" stuff, I wonder how much irreplaceable vintage jewelry has been discarded as old junk? Out of date, so useless? Makes me sad really, however THAT is exactly how I pick up entire jewelry boxes full of old, GREAT, stuff. I'm not just talking monetary, I really am enjoying looking at, and learning about so many pieces. Little works of art most, and while I do sell, I think I have saved many boxes from the bin, I have been at  hundreds of tag sales where people go right to the new, discount store stuff, and walk right past an entire table of jewels, and anything I didn't bring enough $ to but it out completely, find those same items in the free pile the next day! I am having a great time with you folks, and appreciate all of the information, are you telling me it's time to jump out of the nest and fly? :smileywink: Best, V76

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Well, the nest will still be here to return to, but sooner or later you'll want to perch on the edge and flap your wings. (I'd add a smiley but my phone won't do them.)

flotsamlogo
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

another mystery set

Reading the advice and thank you for the suggestions on books. I plan on starting my library!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply