cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wild goose chase - any guesses on who made this locket?

It's a combination of cold paint and what looks like hand painting.  The locket is a birdhouse, with a pin in an odd spot on the back.  Wear it as a brooch and it's upside-down.  The pinback is probably meant to keep it from swinging around.  I added the chain, so that's no help.  The mark at the top looks like a place a maker's badge was supposed to go, but it was never soldered on.

101_0083.JPG101_0084.JPG101_0086.JPG

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Pretty 🙂

I think a dangle hangs from where you have the chain attached.

Also the picture of the back, the cross brace on the left side seems to have shadows that could be writing, maybe a Maker's Mark.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I agree that rather than a chain to make it into a necklace, I think a dangle hang from where you have the chain.  Maybe even a little bird charm.  I think I have seen something similar done by Coro.  You might want to check out the Coro site.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Found it but Sandy just beat me to the ID 🙂

Birdhouse Locket Brooch

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Pretty piece and has been worked on. The pin (useles place I agree). has been soft soldered on at a later stage, the darkening of the metal tells tales. It didn't work so it is being disposed of.

This original item at the manufactures stage looks as though it has been used for more than one jewellery design. Most commonly seen as a watch I would think. The addition across the centre is not for strength but to fix the next design choice a place to attach the the new centre. The centre loop or ring looks as though it could have had a rivit attachment as part of a design as well. Or as my husband has said, the clock face may have had moving hands.You will see the shadows at the cross bar of the centre where there may be slight indentations. This is where  the original  catch and hinge attachments for a brooch has been at one time. Yes it may have also been sold in one of it's design life as a pendant. 

When a number of items cast it has then had the different design choices made. As each choice the obsolete items have been roughly removed . (could even have been sone at the wax stage by the rough scratched places).The finished item then nickel plated. This design has seen many lives, so check other ideas it may have been used for. You may then find a maker.

Hope I have helped. Charm.

Charm Affair or Charm
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I think that Coro pin is probably what this looked like originally. The birdie was obviously long gone when it turned up if it was ever there. They probably did do several versions of this.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 7
latest reply