cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does 18KTP mean?

It's on a chain necklace.  I'm assuming it's not as good as it sounds since someone has one started at 99 cents.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

What does 18KTP mean?

The P indicates plated.

Diane

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

I also read where P could mean plum gold, however Not sure if it is 18KP for plum gold or 18KTP  I will need to look it up. Sorry, will get back if someone doesn't help before that 🙂 Plum gold means 18 solid..

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

I think I was wrong on that it needs to be marked without the T and plum+plumb gold.. So to be exact it would need to be marked 18KP not 18KTP.

That would be plate I believe. Sorry 😞

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Try looking into Kara T Plate, or plating. As far as the starting out at .99 thing goes, don't read too much into that. You will see listings for many pricey items, in many catagories that are starting at .99. I would be afraid to do that myself, but many sellers do.

Diane

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

No problem, rain777blue, I didn't have great expectations:)

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

if i were you i would have the piece tested...

this is the only way you can no for sure.

i thought that 18ktp meant 18kt plum...

if you have it tested come back and let us know...

i would think if it was plated it would say 18kt GP or EP...

again have it tested... better to make sure than be sorry...

does it stick to a magnet???

letoulousain
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

in my lifetime i have had only a few pieces marked with the P...

they were gold...

i just can't remember how they were exactly marked; ktp or kp...

nevertheless the OP should have the piece tested...

i know i would...

letoulousain
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

i mean the only you can know...

letoulousain
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Whering660 is correct. The KTP stands for karat plate which is usually a thin layer of 18k gold.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Thank you very much. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Found online---

Carat is the percent of gold an item possesses.  Most gold jewelry is stamped with the carat marking such as    10kt   14kt    18kt    10ktp   14ktp    18ktp
Pure gold consists of  24 carats.  Therefore 10kt is 10/24 pure gold.  14kt is 14/24 pure gold  18kt is  18/24 pure gold.  The “p” after the 10, 14, and 18 kt stamp merely means the gold is “plumb” meaning actual carat content.  Before the early 1970s, the government allowed jewelry manufacturers to fudge a bit on the stamped gold content of jewelry. 10kt gold was actually only 9.5kt and 14kt was only 13.5kt gold content.  I tell you this because I don't want you to get upset with the person you will try to sell your gold to thinking that person is trying to cheat you out of some of the money you think you should be paid.

Also, some jewelry is stamped with a carat mark followed by “hge” or “ge” or “gf”.  The “hge” or “ge”  means “heavy gold electroplate” or “gold electroplate” and the “gf” means “gold filled”.  These items are merely gold plated or very low percentage gold content and are only worth pennies and you are looking to sell for dollars.

http://scrapgoldvaluepergram.blogspot.com/

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Oh never mind!!!  Online reports are all conflicting.  Several places say KTP is plumb, others say KP is plumb!  Both sides include jewelry stores. Wow!

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

What does 18KTP mean?

Get it tested please and let us know.. 🙂 Thanks

Message 14 of 14
latest reply