cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I call this diamond?

treasury lot 335.JPGtreasury lot 334.JPGtreasury lot 335.JPG

Strange to see it poking up so far  I couldn't believe it tested as genuine diamond   It's nice and white   Would this be an old mine cut??  TIA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

It looks like either European Cut or Old Mine cut to me but hard to tell from the pics google both and compare it will be better for you to look since you have it in hand.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Are you listing that?  🙂

Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

To me it looks like a naturally faceted stone maybe with a point removed to create a table. It is ready hard to see on my tiny screen though.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I was thinking it was upside down with the point removed. Never seen one like this. I'll try and get pics in natural lighting. The top is so tall. Weird. I will be posting it but I just wanted to get some help with the description. I think it's older.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I tried googling a little bit last night but didn't find anything quite like it other than possibly the mine cut

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I do think it is a mine cut set higher up than usual.
Tomorrow's another day.Tomorrow's another day.
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

There are several cuts that one could call this. It would be better to identify which it is because it can affect price. There is mine cut and rose cut. These all signify that they were cut by hand using simplistic tools and no machine was involved. Mine cut often refers to a style of cut and is done just like they have done for many hundreds of years back to the 13th Century even. The cutter would have used a human powered wheel with diamond powder and a peg board of different angles to fashion the cuts on. Believe it or not many contemporary cut stones are done this way, except that the wheel is also more contemporary and more precise. I can not tell by the pictures which cut it is. But you can compare online to determine which having it in your hand and seeing different styles of cuts. The color or your stone is also important the fancy colors often fetch a premium 🙂 Blue, red, green and yellow in that order, is what is considered most valuable of the colored diamonds.

TINKERSILVER
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I tired looking on google images to determine which cut it was I was having a hard time trying to pick one

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

The photos are not clear enough or in the right position to make a positive ID. You are the only person to see what the stone looks like.Is the stone round,square,square with rounded corners?

It looks like an old mine cut,but there are numerous cut variations since the cutters did everything by eye and not indexed modern faceting heads.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

diamond 003.JPGdiamond 016.JPG

diamond 010.JPG

I hope these are better  Any kw's and help is appreciated  TYIA

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

It is an old mine cut... tall crown,small table and shaped somewhat like a modern cushion cut. hard to say how old it is since they were still cutting "old mine" type cuts in India into the 1950/60's.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Looks like a really early mine cut from here. Not a rose cut anyway.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thank you guys I really think the ring is older

Message 15 of 15
latest reply