cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Unique Beaded Pouch Necklace Help with Beads Please

I found the cobalt blue pouch beaded necklace and thought it was really cool.  I know that it was done after 1954 because of the faceted aurora borealis beads.  It's 50 inches long and the pouch is 2 x 2 inches and about 1/4 inch wide.

UB4359 - Copy.jpg

When I examined it closer I found that all the beads, except for the tear drop dangles are actually molded ON TO the wire. 

PB270001.JPG

Kind of like the molded plastic beads on a thread ... but these are molded right on the wire in one continuous chain.  So the glass chain is made up of a repeat of a cobalt blue tear drop, then a faceted aurora borealis bead.  Like I said the tear drop dangle is a regular beads attached with a brass head pin.  Never seen anything like this piece so any help will be appreciated.  Going out for a few but will back later.  TIA

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Ok, im not an expert -- but i disagree about the beads being molded onto the wire. Its an eye pin method i used to use when making rosaries. And i beleleive the beads are glass.
GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for your reply.  Yes the beads are glass and I guarantee they are molded onto the wire.  And it is one continuous chain.  There is no split like on an O ring or even a loop closure like you would do with an eye or bead head pin to open and then close on the next bead.  That is what is throwing me.  Like I said the only bead on the chain that uses the loop closure is the tear drop dangles that are added with a head pin.  The pouch on the other hand is made of beads using eye pins like you are talking about.  The way I can tell the difference is the tear drop dangle beads that use the head pins and the beads that form the pouch with move around the wire when twisted.  The glass beads on the chain will not twist around the wire, but are stationary.  Here is a better picture that I hope will help.

PB270002.JPG

Thanks again for the help.  I hope this picture shows better what I am referring to.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I got nothin..except its gorgeous & looks like Czech to me for some reason

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

I got a Czech feel to them as well.  They really are quite different.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I have been thinking these Beads look similar to something I have seen before. I might have figured it out? I have a vague memory of a valuable glass Fruit Lamp that I saw on the Antiques Roadshow. In my mind I am seeing glass over wire elements. Maybe that can help with date or origin?
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

With the plain glass beads and dangles there is also a resemblance to the elements in an attributed necklace in one of my books. The Maker is Rousselet and the book is "Costume Jewelry" by Judith Miller page 270.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Last thought, I promise. Maybe try researching "vintage poured glass beads"?
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I would call it a cobalt blue czech glass 1920's flapper necklace.. It stands to reason the flappers would need something that is linked together as that is and not loose on the wire chain makes it even stronger..

It is beautiful..Blown glass beads look like that i think?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I would think the beads are fused to the wire as in blown glass, however I would not think molded because there is not a seam. It is strange how they are linked together without it actually being all molded together. very unique necklace..as you said. I am confused..

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Thanks OCN for the lead, I'll check it out.

Rain it is unusual.  I never thought of there being no seams, but you are right and fused is a great description of what I am seeing.  At first I thought maybe the beads were glued onto the wires, but when I examine it closely the color of the glass extends onto the wire. 

Thanks all for the help.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Very Pretty

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Sandy,

Try the PGP board. They are familiar with all types of glass making methods and might be able to help. 

They may also be able to tell you where it was/might have been made.

TEX
Message 13 of 13
latest reply