cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIntage earrings signed PATENTED with Brooch..question on the Signature & Stones

I have a vintage brooch and earring set.  On the earrings they are signed patented.  The brooch is not signed.   The stones are clear but have other colors in it when you move them or change light.  Is there a particular name for these.  Also, I've been calling items Gold Tone, SIlver tone is there a more appropriate description? 

Thank you,

patented 2.pngpatented 3.pngpatented 5.png

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

VIntage earrings signed PATENTED with Brooch..question on the Signature & Stones

The stones in the brooch are called Aurora Borealis which is a finish applied to stones to give them that rainbow effect.  The same type of finish that is on your crystal necklace that you have currently for sale.

I believe that the "patent" that you are seeing on the earrings is what is called a utility patent, in other words, it's for the clip mechanism on the earrings rather than for the design of the piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you, I am still learning.  I have so much jewelry and have googled and looked at other auctions.  I am trying to be accurate and use the correct verbage.

On the Aurora Borealis do I just call it that or is it a crystal/rhinestone Aurora Borealis?

Thank you for the information on the Patented.  I did not see any other items that was SIGNED PATENTED as a designer.  Weird they just put that on the clip like that.

🙂

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes it is weird. The AB stones date it to no earlier than 1955, which is when most jewelry makers switched from design patents to the less cumbersome copyright process. Patents from after that date are mostly utility ones. But just "patented" without a number?

flotsamlogo
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes, Patented with no number.  The brooch doesn't have anything on it.  So confusing..lol

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

It's an odd clip style too. Maybe not from the US? Either the whole piece or maybe the clips?

flotsamlogo
Message 7 of 7
latest reply