cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsigned Sterling Laurel Burch Earrings?

I picked these up along with 2 pairs of signed Laurel Burch earrings the other day.  There are no marks on them but test strong for sterling.  One of the posts has been replaced.  Other than running across the odd piece here and there, I'm not very familiar with Laurel Burch.  Did she make unsigned sterling pieces?  Haven't been able to find a definitive answer in my searches although there is a pair listed that the seller "believes" is unsigned Laurel Burch.  I'd like to have the confidence to list these as unsigned Laurel Burch if someone can confirm that she did make unsigned sterling pieces.  I did read that she has passed away.  Thanks!

laurelburch1.jpglaurelburch2.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I have sold quite a few Laurel Burch earrings.  Some of her early pieces and designs.  They have all ben signed.  If you have questions about these, you might try asking here.  http://www.laurelburch.com/

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Thanks, Sandy.  Good thinking!  I just fired off an email to them.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I just sold some unsigned from my research back in the 70's before she made it big her jewels were not signed but the cards they came on were.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Thanks, sunshine.  How did you know yours were Laurel Burch?  Is there a research website or did you see them somewhere on the web?  I did write to the company but am not sure they'll answer.  Do you think my earrings are Laurel Burch even though they are not marked anywhere?  Yours were at least marked "silver."

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

As for the signature, I've had a Burch cat brooch that wasn't signed but was clearly her style (zigzag lines and a jowly cat face). Signed on cards makes sense. They sure LOOK like Burch cats. Did you do a Google image search for Laurel Burch cat earrings?

flotsamlogo
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

I just google the image took me awhile using different keywords but finally found about 3 that were on cards although they were different color than mine. I dont know LB alot but they could be but what bothers me is like you said mine atleast was marked silver. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

They are called laurel burch eskimo lion earrings google that might find some unsigned

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Sorry, had to work today.  Thanks for your replies blue and sunshine.  I think you nailed the name of the earrings, sunshine, but mine look a little different than what showed up on Google Search.  Haven't heard from the company but feel pretty confident they are Laurel Burch.  Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Nice!  I was not familiar with Laurel Burch.  I think I may have gotten a bunch in my last jar.  May have just sold a pair!  I'll try to post some pics next week and maybe some of you can tell me if I need to research further!

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

The face of the lion sure looks like Laurel Burch to me . The lines under the eyes especially . I agree with Sunshine Kisses , I have read that her early designs ( from when she was first stating out ) were not signed but had cards attached . These lions are so so cute ! I picked up a set of 4 LB cat plates today to sell . I love her art .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I suppose I should shine them up but I kind of like them a little tarnished.  Too bad I don't have the card for them, but I think they're pretty recognizable.  I like her cats also, as well as the Kliban cats.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I agree , very recognizable . I collect LB dogs . I only have 2 so far but hey it's a start . Funny you should say that ....I also have a Kliban bed sheet for sale right now and recently sold a Kliban Hula Cat pin . Great minds think alike .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I was really interested in this topic because I "met" a lady that used to be friends and worked with Laurel Burch, She is a wealth of knowledge. I messaged her about this topic and even though it has pretty much answered I thought you all might be interested in what she replied.

Alex, Thanks for contacting me! As you probably know Laurel Burch's main mediums she worked with were Cloisonne (Champleve) & cast gold & silver plated jewelry . . . she was always experimenting in other unique mediums, this 1988 sterling silver collection was small, only about 6 mythical cat & lion pieces & because it was "stamped sterling" she couldn't sign or initial these pieces as it would show through on the front of the designs. The piece that is shown here at the bottom of your conversations is "Eskimo Lion." Hope I answered your question & I do get these rare pieces in my store for time to time. Thank you, Madelyn NICHE~Artisan Jewelry

Most used advice from my mother - Learn something new every day!
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Alex, thanks so much for pursuing this with the lady that worked with Laurel Burch!  That would explain why they tested sterling but were not stamped.  Can't get much better provenance than that!  Please thank her for me, also!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply