cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think this is Art Deco period - your thoughts?

Not sure if I am correct and would appreciate your opinion.  Appears to be pot metal.  Chain attaches on either side at the top of the pendant.  White creamy lucite stone.  I thought they were glass originally, but not.  The pendant measures 2" by 1 1/2". Unfortunately, no marks of any kind.  Appreciate your advice

IMG_8376r.JPG

IMG_8377r.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

White moonglow stones is one of my favorite moonglow colors.  It does look like pot metal.  I wouldn't call it Art Deco but rather Retro.  I have to ask, does it look as though two pieces are missing from the top of the pendant.  This looks to me like it might have been a star burts piece.  The back appears to have the placement for two more points.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Sandy, you are correct.  As I look closer at the piece, it does appear that someone has filed down the two spots where additional pieces were.  So when you say retro - are you saying after the 50's?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Yes Moonglow thermoset , lucite , or plastic was very popular in the late 1940's - 1950's era .

I have sold a lot of these pieces and find them very hard to capture the beauty of in pictures . On the plus side , buyers are usually happily surprised when they receive them . Don't you think this necklace is prettier in person ?
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My guess would be mid 50s for the age.  Personally, even with the missing pieces, I still think that it is a great looking necklace.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks so much everyone.  It is much prettier than pics show.  I have other pics that show the moonglow effect a little better than the one I posted.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply