cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Takahashi bird help

Hello everyone , 

I saw a really nice wooden bird pin in a vintage resale shop today . It's still there. I have never seen one of the Takahashi birds in person . I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips to authenticate it . 

Are they signed ? 

What size are they ? 

Do they have copper wire feet ? 

Anthing else you you might want to add and anyone has one , I would love to see a picture . 

Thanks ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Takahashi bird help

Here`s a good informative place to start.  They can be kinda deceptive..but there are some specific traits to look for

http://www.takahashibirds.com/

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Wish I could be of some help, mermaid, but the only time I've heard of them is from reading posts here.  Good thinkin' to do your due diligence before buying.  Good luck!  I hope it's the right kind of bird Smiley Happy.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Sarah , thanks so much for the link ! I thoroughly enjoyed  it ! I also looked at A&O and read that they always used brads instead of screws . I remember reading that before on the boards. 

Dream , I hope it is the right kind of bird as well  . I was quite surprised at how large it was . I always thought when looking at the pictures they were smaller. It's beautiful either way. I better go get it before it flies away .

Mermaid 🐳 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Mermaid, I have the Takahashi book and would be glad to look up "your" bird if you post pics. (I found and sold one once and spent part of the profit on the book)

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Diane ,  thank you ! What a great thing "to spend " part of the profit " on ....knowledge is power !  It's not the most expensive piece , but it's not the cheapest either . It is a vintage / antique shop after all . I'm fainted by this birdie though . Partly because it's the first one I've ever seen in the wild . 😃 I should get off my tookas and go up there and catch this bird ! 

Mermaid 🐦🐥🐧

PS ...please check your PM 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

There used to be a page online that gave info on how to ID the birds. Not sure how to find it but this page might help?

http://imageevent.com/bluboi/takahashi

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Had forgotten about that site, OCN..thanks for the reminder!  

Now all we gotta do is keep fingers crossed & hope Dana found a treasure  (if she got off her duff that is Cat Wink Smiley Very Happy)

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Takahashi bird help

Well I got off my duff yesterday and went up there . 😂  It was a cute road runner by the way . 

It looked really good . Carving and paint were very detailed . Reflection painted in the eyes . Absolutely beautiful . Now for the bad news .....when I turned it over , I could see where the original pin back had fallen off ( where the paint job stopped ) . Someone had replaced the back with a smaller cheap pin mechanism that read " made in tawaiian " . 

I wanted to purchase just for the records and case study but I just didn't think the cost was worth it . If she has a great sale and it's still there maybe . 

I loved learning about these cute birdies and I did learn a lot from everyone's links . I really appreciate the knowledge on these boards and of course will always be on the lookout for them and other treasures ! 

Thanks everyone ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 9 of 9
latest reply