cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange purchase from a thrift store, am I too suspicious ?

Hi Gang ! I know we've discussed similar things that we see or think may go on behind the scenes at our thrift stores but I wanted to tell you about this experience I had yesterday.
Went into what used to be a regular haunt (lately pickings have been slim, now I think I know why) to check out the jewelry and the usual jewelry clerk wasn't there. I casually asked where she was to make small talk and she told me the regular person had called in because her mom was ill.
Chit chatted a bit while looking at the jools, nothing really catching my eye.
There was a large jar filled with the usual bits and pieces, cheap beads, etc.
I like to look them over because sometimes you just never know. I asked to see the jar and the clerk told me she "just put that out" because the regular lady had left it in the back all priced and covered. I looked it over (can't open them, store policy) and I thought I spotted a part of a stretch band used in WW2 sweetheart bracelets.
It was inside a baggie inside the jar with all the other cheap stuff packed tightly around it so you couldn't see the whole thing, just a segment sticking out a bit.
Priced at $7.99 so I took a chance and bought the jar.
Opening it last night I found this:
Sure enough, a 1942 Speidel Phoenix sweetheart bracelet (with sweet pictures of a woman and her sailor sweetheart) and also all of this.This was all put together in a large taped over baggie and then the junk was covering it on all sides, top and bottom.
We have a Richelieu multistrand necklace, KJL strawberry ring, vintage Carl Art etched sterling bangle, unmarked sterling bracelet, freshwater pearls with multicolor rhondelle spacers with a sterling clasp and other stuff, obviously not junk.
The triangle stone CZ necklace is sterling and very heavy, really gorgeous.
So, what are your thoughts on this ?
I'm thinking she has been saving all the good stuff and selling it to someone she knows at a prearranged time, maybe splitting the profits from selling later, etc.

lot.jpg
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

I'm sure she was hiding it for someone else. There is one shop in my area that never has any good jewelry, when I asked about it one of the other clerks told me that they had someone that came in and bought jewelry out of the back before it went out. I did call the regional office and the manager was fired over it, now there are a few things there  so I think it might still be going on.

Then there is another one where a flea market dealer that specializes in jewelry volunteers and they never have any thing either.

I volunteered myself at a shop and I quit when a new manager came in but I am getting ready to go back because the new manager and her daughter that both work there have an account at the consignment shop across the street and pick up checks for several hundred dollars every few weeks and there has not been anything even clothing that was high end since she started. So I think I need to volunteer and if my theory is correct turn them into the board and get them fired also.

An umbrella and a mind have a lot in common, they both function better when open.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

CAV, things that make you go 'hmmmmm'.

I think I will contact the headquarters of this store and fill them in, see what happens.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Nice Haul for "special price" 😉
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Good for you for beating at her own game - glad you got that nice haul.  And kudos to anyone who helps keep the thrifts on the square.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I agree that there is stuff going on in some thrift stores.  I had a friend that worked one day a week just giving her time for free since she thought seh was helping out this hospise hospital.  Long story short the manager was fired for taking "good" stuff home to use and resale.  We are talking about TV furniture and who knows what else.  That person got caught.  .  

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Hmmmm......I would say your sneaking suspicions are right on the money . Sneaky sneaky . Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time . Good for you Calico ! I wish our thrifts sold jars for $7.99 . They cost $ 29.99 here .
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Yes, good price for me but it makes me wonder how much has gone out the door in these jars.

Mermaid, $30.00 for a jar of mostly junk you can't  look through ??? That's craziness. The most I've seen jars go for around here is $10.00.

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Yea, the thrift store "being the in person" thing makes me crazy!

I stopped by the local thrift today and saw a dealer I know on sight coming out, he doesn't know me. When we bring things to donate to the thrift we go in a side door. He was coming out of the side door with a group of 3 or 4 framed pieces, photos, prints, paintings, I don't know, but they were about 9x12. All I know is nothing should be coming out of that door, it all should be going in!

This is why we haunt the thrifts and don't find much here. They all have an "expert" who looks over the items and gets first pick.

But I am preaching to the choir here, we all have run into this. Yes, they want someone who tells them they have something valuable, but I am absolutely sure the really valuable items waltz out the door in the "experts's" hands for a song!

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Unfortunately, yes..it`s a widespread problem.  Cat SadJars of junk jools here usually are priced 12.00-15.00 and ya can`t tell a but what you are getting. otherwise..never any vintage, or even good costume.

Glad you got such a good buy..bet the regular clerk gonna be pizzled when she comes back Smiley Very Happy

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

There is a VV close by me that starts their "Junk Jars" @ $49.99 and I can guarantee that it does not have a secret zippy in the middle. It is almost like they price by the count of the items 😞
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

I hate to say it, but nothing would surprise me any more. Those jars are always a losing proposition here, when I find one, but someone always seems to buy them.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Great vent thread! I've been ticked off about this for years...the only solace is that the inside "experts" don't always know what to look for, so some winners sneak through. Nothing like the "old days" (you know, like 10 years ago!). *sigh*
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

I suppose I shouldn't complain too much, I have had good luck in finding treasures in thrift stores.

I still shake my head in wonder at the 1920 14kt solid gold hunter case pocket watch in mint condition I found a while ago. Huge and heavy, I'm sure the young sorter thought it was costume.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

Jumping in here, since I talked to a childhood friend of my mom a couple weeks ago. She used to work at the local Goodwill about 18 years ago. She was telling me that the workers used to put things aside for each other. My mom's friend was into cookie jars, aprons and jewelry so that's what was put aside for her, and that's how she accumulated all her pieces. I'm sure it happens all the time. I've found a couple nice items at the thrifts, but mostly have my best luck at the yard sales. 

Nice finds Calico!

Message 15 of 28
latest reply