cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rockhounds please help ... what is this?

No clue what these are. Tested with the Presidium and the needle doesn't even budge. Very shimmery blue and green.

At first I thought Paua shell .... what do folks here think? I'm just not sure because it seems to be quite iridescent.

Set in a heavy (over 11 grams) 14k pendant so I'm thinking it might be some sort of stone or shell rather than glass? Closed back not open setting.

Any ideas?

TIA

IMG_6650.JPG

Taken under flash

IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6654.JPG

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Cultured opal
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I agree . Looks like Opal to me . 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Opal, but the striations are a little too deliberate...cultured.

Diane

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I agree. Try looking up Gilson Opal.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks so much folks I really appreciate your help!

I  looked up "Gilson Opals" and they  look very similar to these. 

I've never heard of cultured opals before so thanks again!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Glad you brought that up, arlene, because I have a very similar slider pendant.  Knew it was some form of opal but wasn't sure what.  I love the iridescent striations in the material.  Mine is also 14kt and weighs 7 grams.

slider.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Dream ...they're are so similar it's uncanny .... what's the bet they were made by the same person? Mine has what looks like a D followed by 14K as the mark.

Going a bit OT here ... had a super day today ... scrapped 3 really mediocre  and beat up bangles I got at a garage sale last weekend and bought this beautiful 18k white gold Deco ring.

I just wish I could capture how fine the mount is but my pics don't do this ring justice.

The blue stone tests in the sapphire range but is almost certainly synthetic as so many were during the deco period. It is carved in the middle to create a sort of depression but I can't capture this in the pics.

I'm all verklempt. I keep looking at my finger and sighing.  

I swear jewelry is like a drug for me it gets me so high.

IMG_6663.JPG

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Whoa, that's drool worthy right there!  I love what you did in scrapping some for one good piece.  And you're so right about jewelry being like a drug, and we're not looking for a cure!  Here's a pic of the back of the slider.  No D.  Just the Karat mark.  That's one fine ring, arlene!

slider2.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for showing the back of your pendant, Dream. mine has a textured back. I've put it away with my hidden "stash" and am too pooped to haul it out so if I have a moment in the next day or two I will try to take a pic of it.

Yuppers, jools are addictive and we don't need a cure! No Joolies Anonymous Here, TYVM.

I also got this today from the money I got from the  items I scrapped.

Sterling, chrysoprase and marcasite necklace. Yummy. The dealer is a very nice man and even though he missed the sterling mark he still priced it as costume for me after we discussed it (it was already priced before he saw the mark). A truly honorable man.

IMG_6666.JPG

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

very nice scores!

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

So beautiful 💙💚💙   I don't want a cure ! 

Mermaid 🐳

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Since they didn't react to the tester,most likely it is polymer impregnated synthetic opal from Japan/China. Gilson and other lab created opals respond to testing like natural opals.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Thanks folks.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Amazing how much it looks like butterfly wings.  Gorgeous.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply