cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rhinestone Brooches questions

I figured I'd post a few pieces in one thread instead of creating multiples. None of these are signed, so If you recognize any, please let me know. 🙂

1. Trying to figure out the what this type of rhinestone is called (center stones). They aren't like regular rhinestones, they look like they have more facets and are pointy in the center, not flat. 

IMG_3629.JPG

2. D&E? I don't see any figure 8 puddling, but thought I'd ask.

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3661.JPG

3. This one has "Germany" written very small on the pin itself. How would this brooch be described? The main center stone has what I'd describe as a "Peacock" coloring. 🙂

IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3645.JPG

4. What are those small "teeth" like settings called, for the rhinestones? 

IMG_3665.JPG

IMG_3666.JPG

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I would call the bottom brooch a bezel set. I don't know if there is anything else they call it when there are teeth like that.

The pointy rhinestone is called a rivoli rhinestone.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Wow the one brooch that you want to know if it is Juliana is a stumper. I cked the 3 folders for verified Juliana and it was not there. That said, there are some pieces that have no open backs, same pin stem and no puddling. I'm so confused anymore, since they had the owner or owners kid do the verifying because it use to be a few attributes and that was that.......then he started verifying pieces that I would have never in a million years thought was juliana. So Im not sure what to tell you. Have you looked through the post on this board? Or waite for others to voice thier opinions.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

If you look closely, you can see W  Germany (I can see the 'W')  on the pin stem of the goldtone filigree brooch. 

The last pin..I`d refer to as having sawtooth set rhinestones

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

1. Ravioli (sp?)

2. Not sure if it is D&E. 

3. Renaissance Revival

4. The jagged bezel looks like sawtooth.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Super! Thank you all for your help! The more I'm researching the piece I though could have been D&E, the more I realize it probably couldn't. Pretty though!
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I`d like to see the back of the top pin (with the rivoli stones) 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Sure thing, here it is: 

IMG_3637.JPG

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Hmmm something about the back of this combined with they type of plating leads me to think it`s not all that old as the others ..but wait for other opinions as I could be wrong  (who me????  naw) Cat Very Happy

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I checked the pin and it doesn't quite say W Germany, instead it has three letters that look like "arc" then "Germany". I used a loop on it and those are the only three letters I could make out. Def not "W" though.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Not to be overly optimistic but I bought a lot of "rhinestones" that turned out to be actual sapphires,  emeralds, and a couple of tiny diamonds.  I wouldnt use super shiny gold as evidence that it is recent or fake.  The ones I got were amazing and the plating was in excellent condition once I cleaned them!

Also wouldnt the pointy cut stones be marquise?

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

The rhinestones in the 2nd brooch are indeed marquis cut..the ones in the top brooch are rivolis

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

OK yes - now I see the difference.  I was comparing the two with Marquise. I didnt know we were talking about the round ones with the starburst effect.  My bad.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Not a problem..we all get confoozled here from time to time...keeps us sane Cat Wink

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

#2 is a "definite maybe" - I had a piece with a similar back that turned out to be D&E and yours might too. The figure 8 puddling is only found in certain stone configurations, which your pin doesn't have. Hopefully Sandy will weigh in on this; she knows more about D&E than I do.

The "arc" on your German piece is probably "ern" - Western Germany."

I think the term you're looking for on #4 is sawtooth bezel.

flotsamlogo
Message 15 of 17
latest reply