cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reversed carved glass brooch age?

This has me stumped but learn everyday I think the pin and clasp has been replaced but the brooch is silver I think. This belongs to a older gentleman and his wife passed and I am trying to help him sell some things to make some $$ for him. Any info is appreciated as I google and get all kinds of things mainly cameos. It has some damage one corner is chipped other is cracked and 3 stones missing but I think I have some to replace them. With that being said I still like it but that doesnt matter think it is worth listing with the damage? There is no marks on it I cleaned it a little but found nothing

20150523_090202.jpg20150523_090224.jpg

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Sunshine kisses ,

I think this is called Intaglio , but wait for others to chime in . I think it's beautiful .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

I thought those were carved from the front? Maybe someone else will chime in thank you though for trying to help

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Intaglio means the image is carved down into the stone and can be on the front or reverse of the stone.
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

See I learn everyday my mistake  Do you think the pin and clasp has been replaced? Any ideas on age?

Spoiler
Spoiler

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Wait mine is glass not stone does it matter?

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Are those little stones marcasites? Looks like it to me

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@sunshine*kisses wrote:

Wait mine is glass not stone does it matter?

nope, material doesn't matter wrt the definition of intaglio. In fact, it could even be molded, as opposed to carved. Important thing is that the design is incised, as opposed to the design being raised in relief (the design is higher than the background)

Here's one place to read a description http://antiques.about.com/od/historyandinformation/g/aa051909.htm

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

I was trying to remember incised and had to go with the description 🙂
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I had a closer look and I agree the accent stones look like Marcasites.

I think the pin might be original and that this piece had a very heavy silver wash that has worn off the pin, hinge and clasp from use. Because of this and the style of the safety on the clasp I would date this to between the WWs.

Beautiful and maybe meant to be Lalique-like?
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

they are marcasites 

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

It's sweet! Reverse intaglio because it is carved from the back 🙂
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Thank you everyone you helpedme so much

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Sorry one more question do you think it is worth listing since it has a chip and a crack?

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Goooooooorgeous!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 15 of 21
latest reply