cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about mexican silver necklace and beads

Hello Everyone

I picked this up a while ago and I put it aside because it looked like there may be a strand of beads missing (see the empty hook/loop in the center between the strands) but the more I look at it I'm thinking that may have been deliberate because if they placed another strand in the center it probably would have overlapped onto the other two strands.  Also, I don't know how to describe the green beads.  Any input is appreciated as always.  One other question is age.  Any thoughts on age? Thank you in advance

mexneckandsterlingbrooch 001.JPGmexneckandsterlingbrooch 002.JPGmexneckandsterlingbrooch 010.JPGmexneckandsterlingbrooch 014.JPG

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I think the beads are dyed onyx, similar to the dyed carved aztec sun necklaces that were popular.  As to age, my WAG is 60s?

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I think that the beads are Onyx (a.k.a. Travertine) but with the word SILVER I might say a bit earlier in date. Just guessing, unless the Clasp was NOS or harvested from another Necklace or maybe a Bracelet when the Neclace was made.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree, this should be a 3 stand necklace
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

For information on Mexican SILVER Hallmark:

http://www.925-1000.com/mexican_marks.html
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you all so much for your input and OCN I looked at the website you suggested...lots of great information. Now I can at least narrow down the era/time period. Thanks again 🙂
Message 6 of 6
latest reply