cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the stones in this PARENTI sterling brooch.

I picked up this sterling pin today, couldn't read the mark until I got home to loupe it. It's a PARENTI brooch (interesting history there BTW) and what I thought were glass stones are gemstones, test as amethyst, citrine, moonstone and aquamarine, I'm not sure what the rose cabochon is, possibly rose quartz ?
Anyway, I was a bit worried about the two cabochons being original while the rest are faceted. I see no evidence of them being replaced so now I think probably original.
I see by some limited research the sisters used quite a bit of moonstone and aquamarine but I'd still like some opinions if you think the cabochons are original.
Thanks for the help !

parenti1.jpg
parenti2.jpg
parenti3.jpg
parenti4.jpg
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Being set like they are, I'd think it would have been very hard to reset and they don't appear to have been fooled with IMHO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That's what I was thinking too Gauntlette. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Very pretty!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks ! I had no idea Parenti jewelry was so sought-after and gorgeous.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

and I've never heard of it lol

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

What does the pink stone test at? It looks too transparent for rose quartz,WAG would be tourmaline or pink beryl.The photos have too much reflection to see the stones well.

As far as the stones being removed without damage to the bezels,any half experienced gem setter could do it easily.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Hollyblue, the pink stone does test in the tourmaline range so maybe that's it.

Thank you.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I sold a ring this past weekend that had pink tourmaline, it's a lovely stone. I was struck by how bright it is!

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

That white one looks like a moonstone in one shot and a pearl in the top one. Either way, that's a good find!

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Marie, yes, pink tourmaline is a very pretty stone. This cabochon is more of a 'rough' example with natural inclusions. 

Ev, I know ! In one of my pictures it looks like a pearl but it's really a translucent moon stone. There is some slight variations in the color within the stones of the amethyst and citrine, not sure if they are natural or synthetic.

The sisters made jewelry in sterling and gold and liked to use moonstones, amethyst, rock crystal, diamonds and aquamarine, although most of what you find is typically plain sterling in highly detailed designs.

Beautiful stuff !

Message 11 of 11
latest reply