cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Puzzling results on NA inspired TAIWAN conchos

This is an interesting piece of info that I am curious about.
I bought a belt at my local TS yesterday, nothing really special, it had 7 very large and thick silvertone NA inspired slide conchos on it, the belt wasn't original to them but I liked the slides.
They are each marked COPYRIGHT 1993 on one side and TAIWAN ROC on the other, no other marks.
I didn't expect them to be anything other than silvertone metal although they do have the look of high grade silver if not sterling, but that's not why I bought them, I just bought them for the look and how big they are.
Anyway, I decided to look for others to match them and found quite a lot of them online and on ebay for pretty cheap, no surprises there.
While searching I came across this site:

They list this belt at over $2100 but I just attributed that to the fact they say it was in a LOTR movie and shook my head at the high price.
While reading the description on that belt it further it said those slides had tested as high grade silver.
So, just to check for myself, I tested mine.
Sure enough, they test as sterling or close to it.
I thought to myself "maybe it's because they are heavily plated with silver" so I looked for a worn spot and tested that area. What looked like a worn brassy area tested as sterling as well and the brass color had been replaced by a shiny silver, what I thought was brassy color was just tarnish.
I have tested these things all over, in quite a few areas and the test is consistent for high content silver.
Keep in mind these measure 3+1/4" x 2+3/4" and 7 together weigh 385 grams.
Here's one of mine.
Do you guys believe the results or am I nuts to believe these are high grade silver and if they are, why aren't they marked for content ?

buckles1.jpg
buckles2.jpg
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

They do have a nice solid look to them . I think the ROC stands for Republic of China . I don't think you are crazy . I can see why you are confused with the conflicting information .

It seems odd to me that something dated 1993 would not have a mark for Sterling on it if it was indeed Sterling silver . Also if it was Sterling and it was showing tarnish wouldn't that be more of a dark black than brassy tone ? Seems like it may be heavily plated .

Of course this is just food for thought . I can not be sure . Just an opinion. More research is needed .
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Wow , I was just looking at your pictures again and they look just like Sterling silver . I can definitely see why you tested them ! I'm excited to hear what the others have to say .
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The link on the original post states it was "artist" made but doesn't list a name. In the USA there is no requirement that precious metals be marked for content.This piece could be a copied piece made in ROC since there could be a number of LOTR fans wanting movie "jewelry".

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Mermaid, the tarnish is mostly black but that one area seemed a bit more brown so I used that area to test, it wiped right off with a sunshine cloth.

There are a lot of these out there, hard to believe thay wouldn't be marked if imported from Taiwan.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I just remembered I have a similliar dilemma with a pineapple pin marked Best . When I researched , Best is a modern company from China . The woman that sold it to me said it was Sterling . I was not so sure .

It had tarnish that came off with a Sunshine cloth . It's a substantial brooch . As suggested by Dream , I tested with 18 K acid . I did not get a positive result . Can I ask what you tested this Concho with ? I wonder if it is not common to mark Sterling in this part of the world .
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Mermaid, I test with 18k acid, the marks quickly turn into a blue/gray solid on the test stone.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Calico , O.K. That is exactly what Dream told me as well . Just wanted to double check . I should really test something I know is Sterling so I can see it in person . The whole testing thing is new to me . I hope someone here knows more about these Conchos . They are nice . I can definitely see why you bought them .
🐳 Mermaid
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

OK, I'm seeing a lot of Brighton belts using these same slides. Brighton doesn't use sterling so I can only assume these are heavily plated.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

The 18K acid test can give a positive result for heavily plated items.  I've experimented with silver plated flatware, and have had strong positive results with pieces I know are plated.  The guy I sell scrap to uses a method with 14K acid, but beware, if the item is not sterling it will get marred, and even if it is sterling, it may leave a mark.

Give the piece a good rub on an edge or inconspicuous spot, enough to get through a plated surface, then dip the rubbed spot in a little drop of 14K acid.  If it bubbles or turns green, not sterling, and this will leave a mark on the piece that you can't polish away.  If it does not bubble and turns a dark or chalky brown or gray, then sterling.  You can usually polish away this mark, but sometimes it leaves a faint mark that won't quite polish away.

I've only ever brought 1 item to him that he said he couldn't test this way because the plating might be too heavy to rub through.  I've used the method to test many things, but only when I'm pretty sure they are sterling.  If I'm not sure, and don't want to risk maring the piece, I don't test it this way.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you very much for the help drg. Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 11
latest reply