cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Patina vs. Tarnish

I've been trying to sell this Hobe sterling silver brooch from the 40's for some time without luck.  The patina vs. tarnish discussion has come up before and I'm wondering what is considered the difference between the two.  Would you consider the finish on this brooch patina or tarnish?  Should I try and clean it up or leave it as is?   It's so intricate, if I were to try and clean it up what would be a good method?  What say you, Joolies? 

hobebrooch1.jpg

hobebrooch3.jpg

hobebrooch4.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Patina vs. Tarnish

If it refuses to see in its "first state" try a sunshine cloth.  I'm forever finding sterling and plated pieces with paste silver polish caked into them from someone's long-ago attempts to clean a piece. The cloth has the tarnish remover embedded and it won't leave all the crud.  If you do use a polish like Wrights, use an old toothbrush to get the polish out of the nooks and crannies. If you don't have one get something from the dollar store; it doesn't have to be a good toothbrush. 

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

Thanks, Ev.  I've considered using a Sunshine cloth but am afraid it will shine only the raised parts and won't be able to reach into the recessed areas.  It seems like it would be quite an undertaking to try and clean it.  Maybe I'll just dip it in Tarnex.

^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
^

Hahaha! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

Oh thank God you were joking! lol 

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

I use a foaming silver polish and a soft toothbrush on things like your pin, I have had great results. It cleans away the tarnish but doesn't shine it like it's new. And because you apply it with water to get the foaming action it washes away leaving no residue.

Give it a try, I buy it it my local hardware store 🙂
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

LOL, baubles!  Marie, that sounds good.  Sounds like a run to the hardware store is in order.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

It is a very pretty pin, I can't imagine why you haven't been able to sell it just as it is.  Make sure you show us the "after" pic when you get it cleaned up.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

Thanks, Sophie.  I will do that!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

There is one for sale very much like it but without the center stone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Signed-HOBE-Sterling-Silver-Roses-Brooch-or-Pin-/311029267204?pt=Vin...

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Patina vs. Tarnish

Thanks, Cliquot!  I have to admit hers looks better than mine cleaned up.  I'll have to pick up some of that foaming silver polish Marie recommended.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply