cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions please Bohemian garnets?

feb 7 victorian 311.JPGfeb 7 victorian 314.JPGfeb 7 victorian 315.JPGfeb 7 victorian 313.JPG

I think these are Bohemian garnets  The clasp is a different hue, you think it's been replaced?  Should that make a difference?  Thanks 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Bohemian garnets are usually rose cut,your's appear to have a flat table.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I thought so too but when I googled, I found that they did come in other shapes...........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I agree, sometimes they do have flat tables.

I would be happy to test them for you, I have tested jewelry for other boardies. It is my way of paying it forward for all the help and knoweledge I have gotten on these boards. You would send it to me, I will test it and send it back the same day. If you feel comfortable with that - and I understand if you don't - message me for my address.

It looks like a sweet piece Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I have had Bohemian garnets with a flat table, both Victorian and vintage.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Here are two pieces that I have on hand. The bow is Victorian and it's interesting that the larger stones are flat table and the tiny accent stones are rose cut.

Both ARE garnets.

garnets.jpg

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I have a presidium, I am not that good with it yet It tested like Garnet but because they were flat tops, I was just curious on other's opinions I am so FREAKED out about making a mistake!!! Dang eBay defects got me posting with my tail between my legs lol

Thank you sooo much for the offer I would totally trust sending it to you with no worries Is that what you use too? I hate that it cannot distinguish between mined and lab grown

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I read something today that said they came in a variety of shapes I mistakenly thought the Bohemian part was the pointy top Learn something new almost every day!

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

That bow is a beaut!

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The bow was gift from a generous boardie. Smiley Happy

If you are getting a garnet reading with the Presidium then I would be confident with that.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I have the same gem tester, unfortunately it can't tell if the stones are natural or man made. The best we can do is look at the construction, if it is an older piece the possibility that the stones are natural is greater.

I agree with Cali, if the tester says garnets I would go with that Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

TY e1 So kind...

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

A gem testers will only say natural and synthetic garnets are garnets.Unless it is maked as being made in the Czech Republic it could have been made anywhere in the world. So far no "lab" in the world can match a location for "red" pyrope or almandine garnets.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Its gorgeous, and Id agree with bohemian garnets. Not sure if its Victorian or Edwardian tho.

As for the origin of "Bohemian" garnet jewelry, historical sources show that the Victorian and early 20th century pieces were being mined from sources in what was then Bohemia,  but I havent heard of even one that was marked as such. 

If I find a piece that is marked, I would suspect it was either 20s to 30s glass or a modern repro, imho

Course, I also dont know if the pieces were made in Bohemia, or just the stones mined from there  (but I suspect it was the latter)

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 14 of 14
latest reply