cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OT: Some Advice Needed For Earrings Findings

I bought some loose stones that are pre-drilled and I would like to know what my options are for pierced earlobe connections. I know I can get plain French wire hooks but maybe there is something that will connect the drilled holes to something decorative that will then connect to the earwire? I don't have the stones yet so I don't know the thickness of the material that a finding needs to connect through but it seems possible to make an educated guess. I want earwires rather than post. In sterling. Any ideas?

Thanks is advance for your help.

3790b_zps6a145436[1].jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Those look like Chandelier Crystals 🙂

Maybe try looking at bits that work as connections for those or maybe at fancy bales for Necklaces and go from there?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Security might determine what you could/should use. (IE, how valuable they are to you.) You should have a better idea of practicxal choices after you receive them. Like whether you can get a jump ring through them. Your choice of ear fastener will also affect what you can use. Such as whether or not an ice pick bail could work.

If all else fails, there will be a way to fasten those beauties onto something that could at least be hung from some small, thin round hoop earrings. Personal taste comes into play here.

I had a nice man use gold wire to secure a not-too-valuable drilled tourmaline about 9 years ago, it's still there and looks pretty professional (if you don't look too close)

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

I've looked at a lot of findings on Ebay and various jewelry-making sites online. I've looked in connectors, clasps & hooks. I need to broaden my search into the other categories, ones that I wouldn't have thought of first.  I just want something with a little bit of interest between the crystal and the French wire. Silver spacer beads seem to have holes that are too big.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

There is always the ID rings that go on wine glasses, not sure if they have a special name, they are kind of like big wires with charms attached?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Yes, having them in my hand will help. I can try the French wire thing alone first. I have some, and also sterling jump rings. The thing about jump rings is that I'd have to put a jump ring through the crystal and then another jump ring to attach the French wire to the first jump ring - if I'm correct about which way (direction) each jump ring & French wire connector go. If you know what I mean. I'm starting to confuse myself. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

If need be I can buy some sterling wire of the right gauge and try things with it. It seems to be inexpensive. I can buy it on Ebay by the foot.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Was gonna say that, but was afraid I'd confuse *you*. lol

edit: Wait, I didn't mean that the way it might've sounded...!

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Ice pick bail - that's an excellent suggestion. I never knew about those until you mentioned them. Thank you.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

I'm easily confused when it's something I know nothing about. Never tried to create a piece of jewelry before. It all started when the girl who does my nails talked me into buying a pendant necklace from a line of jewelry she sells in her shop. The jewelry might come from Vietnam, I'm not sure. It's crystals and silver, that may be rhodium-plated. Very blingy. I'm not a bling-type person in my tastes, not at all. So I buy this pendant on a silver chain because it's very unique. A long, pointed-tip oval crystal set in large-ish silver prongs that are encrusted with tiny crystals. Really quite pretty. Anyway, I've been looking for earrings to go with it. Couldn't find what I had in mind anywhere on Ebay so I decided to buy the crystal (quartz, acutally) stones and see what I could make of them. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I have a single crystal earring that dangles from a tryangle type thing and it is attached to a fine chain and a crystal bead, that is about 1 inch long and attaches to a screw type earring.. I was never able to find the mate, but it would be easy to attach the chain to a pirced wire..

The chain gives it free movement and makes it very blingy thing..

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

That's another good idea. I knew this group was the place to ask my questions.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

I wonder if you might consider an oversize kidney wire earring finding? They are fancier than just a hook and you could string crystal beads on the wire all the way to the ear hole that could match your other piece?

Oversize Kidney Wire Earring

Or the another idea that came to me at the same time is an omega earring finding? I am not sure if they make them with a thin wire at the bottom that you could slip your crystal on. I have some that are wide at the bottom that doorknocker style cut natural stones hang from.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

There is this but I don't know if it would fit?

Lever Back Extended Triangle Hole

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

That's an interesting piece. I've bookmarked it. Thank you.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply