cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with brooch please

Any ideas on date or possible maker of this brooch? And pardon the stupid question, but what are those stones made of? Reason I ask is, they have sort of a satin finish for lack of a better word. The two larger ones especially, just don't gleam like rhinestones. Plus, if you look in the close up of the back, there is a gouge in the stone underneath where the pin goes in to the catch that has a whitish cast. Like the pin gets scraped across it when you unhook it. But why the white? Showing my total ignorance here.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

The Sterling mark is perfectly clear in real life; I don't know why it doesnt show up well in the photos.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

These may be acrylic rhinestones, which scratch and chip more easily than glass ones.  If they feel warmer than the usual glass stones, and don't feel like glass against your teeth, that's the case.  I have a couple of really pretty sterling pins with acrylic stones,   

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Those look like acrylics to me too.  I have a sterling ring here with a big acrylic stone in it, so it's possible.  They wear more easily than the glass ones.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cool Brooch 🙂

The Phone Cord like Coil on the outside is really fun

I have seen posted, in the past, that do to supplies not being available during WW2 Silver and Plastic (Acrylic) Stones were used.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

These Handbags might give you an idea about the age of your Brooch  🙂

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=200&_sadis=10&_ftrv=1&_sop=1&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_from=R40&_dmd=1...

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much! I would never have thought "telephone coil". The acrylic things seems spot on to me too. It does feel warmer than glass and not as slick either.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply