cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last one - Carnelian Necklace, old or new?

I'm sorry for so many posts as of late and I promise this is my last question for the day. As always, I tried searching terms but I didn't get anywhere.

This necklace seems old to me, but maybe it's one of those made-to-look-old pieces?

Thoughts? Do you guys agree that the stone is carnelian? Thank you.

carnelian.jpg

carnelian4.jpg

carnelian5.jpg

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Lovely!  I`m sure is old..love the peanut chain...looks like a sport ring clasp? or does it have the thumb pc?  

As to the stone..that`s outta my league  lol  someone else has to know that 

Purdy!!

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm not familiar with what sports ring clasp but it has the thumb piece... for some reason my mind is getting sleepy and can't remember the name of it.... but it's the most common type of clasps used with necklaces.

Thank you! I love the style of the chain as well. 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Looks old to me too and nice ! It definitely has that Carnelian color ( red orange rust ) . That would be my first guess . Some other possibilities could be Jade or Agate . Some people call it a Jump Ring Clasp .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I agree with them it is older. I so love the chain is it marked

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Thanks guys! It sure is a beauty. It is not marked sadly. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

deco era

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Be nice to people on your way up because you'll meet them on your way down.
Wilson Mizner
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you. All very helpful heart

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

What is Carnelian? It is in reality sun baked Quartz called Carnelian. Real 10,000 year old sun tan baked Quartz is more expensive and usually set in a precious metal. It would also be more translucent. If the piece is not a precious metal and more translucent, then more likely it is dyed and is more the common variety of Quartz. Same stuff you see chess sets made in Mexico. Older pieces would be real Carnelian as it was more readily available during those times. Carnelian comes in grades of color and translucentcy. Usually when you buy this in rough rock form the red is only a few fractions of inches deep on the stone. (Young Carnelian) Carnelian is rare by todays availibility. Most often a dyed stone is used in it's place.

Yours however appears to be the real orangey red variety and is real carnelian. Semi translucent and very desirable. Large pendant size maybe 30X40 MM? AND Most likely a Vintage piece rather than a contemporary one. You should note that in your description. It will add a premium to your asking price. Very Nice!

TINKERSILVER
Message 9 of 9
latest reply