cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jar of stuff!

Found a jar of junk jewelry at TS.  Anyone see anything interesting? Know what the DBH/BDH/BHD stands for?  The ring is adjustable faux leather with enamel butterfly marked "N".  Earring at bottom have lion charm. Think there's a complete picture later!

100_2618.JPG

Shell earrings with gold gilt.  Acrylic stones? Fossil watch.

100_2631.JPG

Glass Micro mosiac.  This stumps me--See sold from 3.00 to 4000.  This is a keychain.  M/N Italia on pendant 

Patent Made in Italy on keychain ring.  Haven't fount that mark anywhere. Much shinier than picture.

100_2620.JPG

==============================
Enjoy today, Tomorrow it will be gone!
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Jar of stuff!

Green is handpainted wood beads.  Center is copper confetti under glass.  Pink is glass beads.

100_2621.JPG

Filigree circles are wood carved

100_2628.JPG

Pretty with black chain.  Older "1928"

100_2632.JPG

Gitano abalone watch

100_2633.JPG

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Thanks for any information!

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

That Keychain is a beautiful Millefiori piece. You should find a home for it with no problem at all. I sold two pieces today. Love it. The mill grain detailing in the metal is just beautiful.

Diane

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Whering- Thank you so much!  I ran across terms like pietra dura and millefiori but couldn't tell the difference.  Search gave same items for both!!  Most of jar was run of the mill.  The abalone watch is nice, but I saw the little heart peeking out the bottom and had to have it! Thanks again--Jeri

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Has the term millefiori change it's meaning?

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Millefiori means thousand flowers in Italian. Only painted glass from Murano Italy is genuine Millefiori. If that has changed, I haven't heard. I am certainly not all knowing though. I've been to Murano...wow, what fun that was. From there over to Venice in the same day. The gondola "drivers" were on strike, so we missed that part.

Diane

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Diane the way I understood millefiori was that yes, it does mean a thousand flowers.  But the flowers were not created by either paint or bits of glass that were put together to make a mosaic.  It was created by the use of different colored canes of glass to form a design.

As seen here:

mil

That were used to form this paperweight:

paper

Or this pendant:

pend

Or these beads.

beads

Now terms have been known to evolve around here ....... so  has it evolved to include mosaics and painted glass now?

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

That is interesting. I was reading somewhere recently that the market is filled with glass that purports to be Millefiori and it is actually mass produced glass with identical patterns. I hope that it doesn't come to be accepted as Millefiori, where each piece is unique.

I remember a similar discussion a week or so ago about jelly belly.

I need to read more about it. I have a soft spot for Millefiori so I want to learn all I can. I need to change my comment about handpainted to handcrafted. Smiley Surprised

Diane

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

And I might add that Japan also is known for it's millefiori beads which has a different llook t them:

jmbe

And they have been seen twisted which again looks different:

twisted beads

tea

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Just to throw in another perspective...I agree w/Sandy that most people think of "millefiori" and the type of glass she's shown. What you gave is a "mosaic," NOT a "micromosaic." That's where you'll find the $4,000 pieces, in the true micromosaics. Just search or Google them and you'll get a sense for the difference...essentially it comes down to how close to the piece do you have to be before you realize it is made up of individual pieces of glass came ("tesserae"). If you can tell from an arm's length distance, it is definitely not a micromosaic. Note: the subject, coloring, and artist come into play with the high end pieces, along w the tile size!
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

@whering660 wrote:

That is interesting. I was reading somewhere recently that the market is filled with glass that purports to be Millefiori and it is actually mass produced glass with identical patterns. I hope that it doesn't come to be accepted as Millefiori, where each piece is unique.

I remember a similar discussion a week or so ago about jelly belly.

I need to read more about it. I have a soft spot for Millefiori so I want to learn all I can. I need to change my comment about handpainted to handcrafted. Smiley Surprised

Diane

Iike I said Diane, terms have a tendancy to evolve here, which is why I asked.  

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Here's an example of a true "micromosaic." I have one of these I snagged from a thrift store for $3 in the early 90s BEFORE everyone became an eBay "expert." 😉
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

Yes, we have had that discussion too.  And I have to tell you, not all "experts" are in agreement of what is and isn't a micro mosaic either.  I'm no expert, but I'm pretty good at research.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Jar of stuff!

If you're selling, I think it comes down to what are people looking for. I set up at a local (large, monthly) antique show and displayed many of these mosaic pieces (actually, several with smaller tiles) for $20 each...no takers 😞
Message 15 of 21
latest reply