cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ivory or plastic?

I've had these brooches around for several years.  They were sold to me as ivory but I'm just not sure - they seem to be fairly lightweight for ivory.  The pins on the back look old.  And, if they really are ivory, can I even sell them to the USA?  If you need a close-up photo, let me know.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Ivory or plastic?

I don't see any lines running in them, but I'm not really good with ivory.  They look more like celluloid to me. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

I see no lines or pores so I'm pretty sure it's not ivory or bone.  Especially when I consider who I got it fromSmiley Happy - I didn't pay very much for the brooches so I'm sure I'll make more than my money back even if they are only plastic.

Any guesses as to age?

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

It is not plastic.  I am sure it is Celluloid, that is different then plastic.

Early 1900's for sure. 

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

Thank you very much.  Celluloid sounds better than plasticSmiley Happy  And I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with selling real ivory anyway, so I am happy with information you have given me.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

I'd just like to say that you have better eyes than me to be able to tell from the photo whether there is any striation (bone) or cross-hatching (ivory)!
Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

Pictures are to small to see any detail that might be needed for a possible ID.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

I agree..the photos aren`t clear enough to tell. Need to have a closer view.

Even if they were ivory..ya can`t list them anyway.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

I saved the images to my iPod folder so I could see the max resolution but the detail is to blurry to make out the material. Could even be Mother of Pearl based on what I see.
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

If you hold the front of the Brooch to your cheek is it cold or neutral temperture?
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

They don't feel cold, just slightly cool, basically room temperature.  They are definitely not mother of pearl.  I looked with loupe and there are no lines.  Here's a better photo of just one brooch; I hope it will show details better.  But I should say, I've already listed them as celluloid.

014.JPG

I thought it was allowed to list some ivory?  I wasn't sure I could export it to the US though.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

If you post a close up can it be of the one showing the front on the left. (That is the one where I see the MOP characteristics.) To be certain it is the correct one, it will be the one that shows the three curls on each side of the bottom.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

Thanks, that is the one. Why do to think it is not MOP? Not all examples, especially older ones are as iridescent, they more have a waving glow like yours does along the bottom.
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

Ivory cannot be listed on ebay. And some States have laws about selling.
Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Ivory or plastic?

I have a jar full of mop buttons and I've seen a lot of it, even have some mop earrings listed.  This is definitely more like plastic.  And mop would be cold, this isn't..

Message 15 of 25
latest reply