cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this stone on these antique earrings moonstone? Fire opal? Other??

Can anyone tell me what these stones are called, they appear whitish but have the orangle glow at different angles, I am not seeing any specks.  The stone is smooth to the touch but it looks like the color is faceted?  They are very old, screwback.  Held a 10k acid test for about 5-6 seconds then faded.  I am talking about the largest middle stone??

opalantique2.jpg

opalantiquefront1.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Opalite?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Agree, opalite. I used to have an opalite bracelet, stones looked just like that.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Agree, opalite. I used to have an opalite bracelet, stones looked just like that.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Opalite is glass?
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Yes agree opalite or opaleen glass. nice earrings BTW.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I'm guessing late 40s to early 50s with foiled opalite cab rhinestones.  I'm a sucker for opalite.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

The glass gem known as opalite (or sometimes, opaline) always shows that sort of hue when viewed through. Which I also agree these are.The center one may appear different because it looks like it has a foiled back.

If they were moonstone there would (should!) be a flashy schiller effect (and most probably be very included as well). And Fire opal, while very often displaying no actual play-of color-"fire", as neither do these, is so named simply because of its base body color - which varies from yellow to orange to cherry red.

JFTR: The masses of people who list opals, however "fiery" they may be, that are not Fire opals as such, frustrate anyone actually searching for them and should be pilloried!

Cat Frustrated

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Yup, opalite!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

ooooooooooooh I'm guilty of that 🙂
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Aha! To the hoosegow with ya, I say!

There are lots of people who think their white opals are fire opals. The ones that get my hackles up are the ones who know they're not Fire opal but use the term as a KW manipulation. It perpetuates the misinformation.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Funny thing, as long as I have been visiting Jewelry Stores to look at the Eye Candy the quality of Opals has always been described by the "fire" of the sparkle.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I agree, there really couldn't have been a worse term assigned to that gem! Fire opal is a gem (sub)species, proper. OTOH fire, in the gem trade means nothing more than play of color due to light refraction. Dispersion.

White, gray or black opals without any fire are...well, not of a lot of interest to many. But blue opal, pink opal and...fire opal...garner interest due to their body color. Any of those that have dispersion, that is a major plus!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply