cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this abnormally large pendant amber???

I have a necklace with a very large pendant that looks like amber (to my very untrained eye). It was hard to photograph the beauty of it but it's semi see thru, with bubbles, "chunks of stuff" and bits of glitter or shimmer. Do you guys have any suggestions on photographing this? The back is flat and & it's a "rounded teardrop". I apologize for my lack of correct terminology on this. Do you guys think this is amber or something else? Maybe glass? Are there any tests to check what it is? Please let me know if you need additional pictures or information from me. Thanks in advance for your time, help, and expertise!

amber.jpg

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I think this is reconstituted amber, they take pieces of Amber and mix it with resin, heat it and form it into shapes. Please wait for others to chime in 🙂
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It could be reconstituted amber, however, the two beads I am seeing on either side of the pendant appears to be glitter lucite.  So this could be a piece of plastic.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks much you two! 🙂

I'll try to get a better picture today. I am leaning towards the reconstructed amber because the shape is almost too perfect.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Here's a picture of the back with morning light

(still hard to photograph)

015b.jpg

The area circled.....is that a bug or am I staring at the ink dot too long?

063b.jpg

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hi I read somewhere and it was most likely on this board, that you could use a blacklight to test? Not sure if that was for Amber or not. Nice pendant BTW

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The easiest test for amber is the smell test. Warm it up in your hands. If it smells sweet it's plant sap and amber. If not it is likely an imitation. You can also use a pin warmed up with a lighter, but this may damage the piece. I personally don't think it's amber reconstituted or otherwise, but I can be wrong. My opinion is based on the bubbly inclusion appearance which is more typical of imitation amber than real. Luster, color consistency and shape of inclusions also sway my opinion. Here's a picture of a similar pendant that's imitation:
http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h201154ju

And here's another one of similar material:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/itemdetails/h204621pb

You can also search fire mountain for real amber. It just has a different kind of look.

I wouldn't factor in good cut in making the decision. Amber is typically cut and cut pretty well. Precision cut round beads are readily available from natural amber, and this is a very wasteful production process!

One last consideration on this piece is that it's set straight on wire. Amber is very soft and the wear from the wire will cut through it with a little use. If it is real amber you may want to switch it to a bail.

Best of luck and I hope it smells sweet!
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Let me refine my comment a little. The smell of pine would be fossilized amber, sweet would be younger resin which is typically merchandised as 'amber' but is much more common an cheaper technically it is called copal.

The fluorescence test is also a good check. Amber/copal will fluoresce blue or yellow.
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Thank you for the info & the compliment. I found this eBay guide about testing amber in case anyone wants to check it out... Real Amber or Fake

I did test it under a blacklight & it glows a yellow/green.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the information! I have to finish getting secretly attacked by spiders cleaning the basement before school lets out. I did a quick skim of everything you posted but I want to sit down later & thoroughly read everything. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again! 🙂

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hi Rebeccah, it is amber but it is reconstituted as flippingtreasures mentioned. Natural amber doesn't have flat gold looking flakes in it. It may have pieces of wood or insects, or swirls of deeper colored amber, that sort of thing.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Sorry for the long delay....my house has been battling a lovely virus.

I did try the warming up test & didn't smell anything & looked at the links you provided & eBay listings. Listing terminology seems tricky, to me.

dafeldo -You do not think this is amber reconstituted, correct? I know others have said they think it is. Lucite beads were also mentioned. From what I've read, fake amber seems to be a problem right now so I want to make sure I call it by its correct name(s) & I honestly have no clue what that correct terminology is! I would like to go ahead & list this - after I receive expert opinions (pretty please).

Thanks again to everyone for your time & help on this one!!!!!

067b.jpg

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi I just wanted to say.. I think the info you received is all good and correct.. However I do not think the whole necklace is Amber, so be careful when you list to say mixed materials.. I listed a jade pendant and also said jade beads, and it was returned.. only the pendant is jade , the beads are not. So JMHO to not call it all Amber. Nice necklace BTW.

I am old but still trying to learn. 🙂

Message 13 of 13
latest reply