cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone familiar with Original By Robert necklaces?

All the necklaces I see are listed as art glass beads, no plastic.  Mine just does not feel like glass - it's not cold like glass usually is and it's not all that heavy, although I guess the glass beads could be hollow (like glass Christmas ornaments).  I don't know if anyone can tell just by looking at photos if they are glass or plastic when I can't even tell with it in my hand, but here are photos:

002.JPG

004.JPG

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

From what I am seeing on my monitor..the beads all appear to be coated plastics...perhaps with the exception of the faceted capri blue beads that are hard to tell from picture. 

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Here's a photo with the capri blue beads:

005.JPG

When I put one of those beads against my lip it does feel cold so I did think they are glass. I am glad you say the others are plastic because I just could not convince myself that they are glass.   But I couldn't find any examples of Original by Robert on ebay or google that said they were plastic beads so I doubted myself.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Looks like a seam in the close up of the pearlized beads , which would say plastic .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

The only thing I would suggest is to tap the capri blue beads against your teeth to see if ya can tell if glass ot not. It is a possiblity they are..many were made with the mixture of plastic & glass.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Is one of the Capri beads discolored white ? If so that kind of reminds me of plastic . Maybe it's a heavier plastic than the other beads ? Or is that just the way the light is hitting it ?

Mermaid 🐳
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

There are two colours of faceted blue beads; one is more royal blue and the capri blue are clear with what looks like something white inside.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Seeing the white inside is what is making me think they might be glass

Also..in viewing your photo above  I don`t think you`ll get this  kind of 'reflection' on plastic

medium (1).jpg

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Sarah ,

They are rather shiny . It almost looks like the one on the bottom has some aurora borealis on it . I am definitely not ruling out glass .

...because I'm curious and so I can learn ....what makes you think the white inside makes it glass ? Do you mean like when the center is another material to reinforce it ? Where you thread the bead . I have another post (recently ) with a bead like this . With this bead , it almost looks like a blob of white , rather than a tube running through . Plus the others don't have any white . Hmmmmm or maybe some of the beads that are not showing do .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

I now see where pheasant said " there are 2 colors of faceted blue beads , one is more royal blue and the Capri blue are clear with something WHITE inside .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

There is some very interesting info about this jewelry . Sorry I do not know how to post a link , but look up ...Originals by Robert : Bling of the past , Vintage Jewelry .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 11 of 11
latest reply