cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intresting Juliana Question for You

I have a nice, confirmed bracelet, necklace and earring set.  The bracelet and earrings are in perfect condition.  However, I have an issue with the brooch and I need second opinions.   It looks as if there should be a second tier.  There is a bad picture of this set in the confirmed album that shows it with a second tier.  I also understand this set is in the Pittman book, which I don't have.  I have also found an image with this brooch as is and another with the brooch that says something is missing elsewhere.  So I'm confused. 

I've gone over the piece repeatedly with a loups and can find no indication that a second tier was attached.  I've also done the old fashioned rubbing to try to detect any rough spots.  Nothing.  So how do I list this?  Repair?  Variation?  Don't list it? 

I'm sorry for the large images, but I wanted you to see what I mean about no indication that there should be a second tier.

001.jpg003.jpg

I set out to change the world. Then I saw something shiny
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I remember reading that D&E did modify manufacture of items to the needs of their Buyer. I think this is one of those simpler versions, especially since there is no sign of damage or alteration.
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Looking as closely as I can, & I can`t see any indication of another layer.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Is it # 444 in the Sets?  If so..the stem is a bit different in that it looks to have 2 yellow stones in it

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Colors and stones match pieces shown in Pitman book pages 89-92 "Hexagon" chapter (but the only leaf style pin shown,  in a differeent color on pg 92, does have a top layer).

Based on no indication of anything being broken off, seems reasonable to just assume it's D&E and was made as a variation of the layerred one.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thanks for the page reference diane.  I'm thinking it's a variation also, but I want to be super careful that I describe this correctly.  You know how buyers  are!

Sherry

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sherry, if you want to post pics of your other pieces, I can take a look to see if they are pictured in the book (so you could list as Boook Piece).
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I had a red rhinestone Juliana necklace some years ago, book piece. The lady who bought it knew her stuff, she showed me where several prongs were missing. She had it professionally added the pieces and had the finish redone, it was amazing when done, although it looked great to me as was....She showed me the other or proper necklace/book piece so I do think some are altered likely to suit

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

You could not see any kind of alterations on it in the original condition I bought it,  thought I would mention that

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Diane, thank you so much for the offer.  Someone has actually posted the pages on another site.  It's the Colorado Topaz set on page 90.  The brooch, with the upper tier, is on page 91. 

While I was going over the piece again, I noticed a tiny spot of greenies.  In checking for more greenies I did find a spot about the size of a pin head that could possibly be a weld.  It's right between the two stone where the stem connects to the leaf.  If that was a weld, it's no wonder that the upper tier came off.  It's a very tiny spot/weld.  I'm still dubious because these pieces are so well made, I can't believe such a tiny weld would have been used.  I've been looking at this piece until I"m blind!  And even knowing the spot is there, I can't find it again!

I'll post the pieces again after a good cleaning so I can get a better look at the spot.

I didn't pay that much for the set, so even without the brooch, I will make a nice profit.

Sherry

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I would look for one of the two tier brooches that shows the back and compare how it is made to the spot on yours.
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Looks like a beautiful piece in exceptional condition. Have you searched the Websites that show confirmed pieces for this. If you do not have the book you may find this one on one of the websites.

@dawnjewels wrote:

I have a nice, confirmed bracelet, necklace and earring set.  The bracelet and earrings are in perfect condition.  However, I have an issue with the brooch and I need second opinions.   It looks as if there should be a second tier.  There is a bad picture of this set in the confirmed album that shows it with a second tier.  I also understand this set is in the Pittman book, which I don't have.  I have also found an image with this brooch as is and another with the brooch that says something is missing elsewhere.  So I'm confused. 

I've gone over the piece repeatedly with a loups and can find no indication that a second tier was attached.  I've also done the old fashioned rubbing to try to detect any rough spots.  Nothing.  So how do I list this?  Repair?  Variation?  Don't list it? 

I'm sorry for the large images, but I wanted you to see what I mean about no indication that there should be a second tier.

001.jpg003.jpg

I used to use the aged and opulent jewelry website. They had the most pictures of confirmed pieces.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply