cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas on this old coin silver bracelet

Is it safe to call this Native American when it is only signed 'Coin silver" ... also it is possible to attribute this to a certain tribe if it is in fact NA based on design motifs.

It has some red residue that almost looks like paint?  I could clean it off but not if it is intentional, was there ever a precedent of silver items being painted or enameled in this tradition of silversmithing? This was found with a bunch of really old jewelry, mostly broken, at an estate sale a few weeks ago so for all I know the previous owner painted it herself/himself.

Thanks for any help.

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

IMG_5950.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

IMG_5947.JPG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

ebay has rules on Native American jewels has to be signed by artist to list it as Native American 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The exception, I think, is pre-1930???

Not sure if this bracelet is that old though 😕
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Thanks, I think that I will just not list this for sale online.

I haven't a clue about the provenance, and having dug a bit further realise that there is no way for me to actually prove that this might be NA or even South Western. I didn't realise that there are quite stringent rules pertaining to these items, so better safe than sorry.  

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

you could say it has a southwestern design

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

There are a number of tribes that make Silver jewelry. Your piece is all coin silver it means like they melted a bunch of pre-1965 coins and hammered out this piece. Coin silver is 90%  or 900 silver where as 925 is the same purity as Sterling silver. If it had stones, such as turquoise. It would be easier to identify the tribe, but not to an exact certainty. Signed pieces would be a better way to denote a specific tribe.

Navajo when using turquoise, uses huge stones with small silver amounts. Zuni uses the reverse practice many tiny stones with a large amount of silver, for some examples.

Your piece is contemporary. Probably early-late 70's. The piece is largely primitive and uses fairly simple construction. It is hand-made and of Native American motiffs and design. Probably from a student of silversmithing or an early piece of an unknown artist. Many many listings of this type of bracelet are listed on EBAY. Coin silver does have a certain draw in some circles as it indicates that it was made by a Native American. Mexico and other countries would use 925 950 and Sterling as an alloy to make silver jewelry. Enamelling would not easily wipe off. Also in order for it to be enamelled piece it would have to be fine silver or copper in order for the enamelling to adhere or stick to the piece.

To determine price would be by weight, the alloy used and the difficulty of the manufacture of the piece. It does have excellent stampings and pleasing arrangements. But is simple construction. Hope I didn't go overboard with my answer. 🙂

TINKERSILVER
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thanks everyone!

Tinker, I appreciate your answer, you didn't go overboard, please don't ever worry about that, I am here to learn!

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Tinker, you mention that this bracelet is from the 1970s, can you tell me what makes you date it as being more contemporary than the older ones? I know NADA about this sort of jewelry and would like to learn so that if I ever do come across this sort of thing again I will know a bit more.

Thanks again for any help!

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Not wishing to be disagreeable and I'm no sterling guru but the bracelet looks Fred Harvey era to me. Older than the 1970s. It's the kind of jewelry a tourist would bring home after their train vacation to the Southwest.

To see what I mean you can view a few pages from the Fred Harvey book here:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/fred-harvey-jewelry-1900a-1955-5445.html

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It really does bear a very close resemblence to those ones from the Fred Harvey era. Thanks for the link.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Go do an ebay search for "concho style bracelet" Typically this style is from New Mexico, from the Pueblo Indians in that state. You can look for like style and weight and construction type to better gauge a price. If it were older you would see cracking. Silver by nature gets harder with wearing it. Odd how certain metals behave. If it were 60's or older this cracking would be most prominant on parts of the bracelet. Only a jeweler can soften the Silver and restore it for another 50 years or more of wearing it. You would heat up the entire piece (with a torch) to a cherry red (almost at melting point) then quench it in water a few times this is called annealing. This softens the silver. Tumbling it in a rock tumbler with steel shot for a few hours will work harden it again at the right amount for every day wear.

Simple interesting testing of this theory can be done with some silver sheet hammer it on both sides several times it will become so rigid and hard it may even eventually shatter into pieces. Older pre 1960's rings and other jewelry are often broken in places due to this nature of silver in general. It is not an exact science to determine age of a piece but is a good start. It will enable you, in the future to better judge these things in other jewelry you find or buy. To anneal any piece in silver all stones would have to be removed.

TINKERSILVER
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hi Tinker,

Thanks again for chiming in here, I wonder if you could post a pic for me (if you have time and have one) of silver that exhibits the cracking you mention. I'm not sure if I follow here, but does this mean actual cracks in the silver? Or does it mean some sort of patina/crazing? I am a little  out of my depth here.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Tinker - thanks for your info - this why I read this page almost daily.  Really learn so much.  Thank you for being part of this jewelry community!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply