cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi! Questions and opinions on a few pieces HELP! TYIA

IMG_6533.jpgIMG_6534.JPGIMG_6605.JPG

#1  Looks like sodalite, middle eastern and older  What do you think?

IMG_6537.JPGIMG_6541.JPGIMG_6539.JPG

#2  Could I call these cannetille? The mark looks Egyptian or maybe Israeli, what are your opinions?  The cabs look like sleeping beauty turquoise but how do I rule out glass?  I also think these look older....

IMG_6474.jpgIMG_6471.jpg

#3 Antique?  Australian?  Not marked but it gives me an Austrian vibe but I am not too good at picking that out yet, still learning!!!   The bi-cones feel like glass but I think because of the weight and coldness that they might be crystal   Sadly it's missing the dangle from the centerpiece but I am thinking it's not a deal breaker

IMG_6453.JPGIMG_6455.JPG

#4  Is this a perfume charm?  It smells like perfume and looks like an old, hardened sponge inside  Can anyone date it?  

Thanks for all the help  I'm trying to list these for this week's sales   Good luck to everyone else!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

One more piece  

IMG_6615.JPGIMG_6614.JPGIMG_6616.JPG

I know I've seen this bird somewhere but can't remember where  Kinda looks like Toledo stuff but then again not  Is this a tourist piece?  Anyone recognize age and/or origin?  TY

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Is your sodalite more blue or purple-I know my camera has a LOT of trouble with those colors. I got a tip on another board to use the same color underneath the item-and it really helped the true color come through. I like your bracelet, seems Mexico related to me. The bird may be a Griffin? If it had the branch in one of its claws, would reinforce my thoughts of Mexico. Agree with Middle Eastern on the earrings, no idea on the perfume pot.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

The low grade lapis necklace looks like a tourist item.

The "Prussian" eagle and griffins is a strange combination.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

The sodalite one looks Indian (India) to me. The earrings are pretty, but I can't make out the mark. Persian turquoise can be as clear and matrix-free as Sleeping Beauty, so would fit with a middle eastern maker. Can't help with the next two.

The Damascene is not what is called "tourist Damascene", which looks totally different, though real Damascene is made for tourists, too, LOL. Damascene is made in many places, and not all is marked, though I think that made in Toledo probably would be. The eagle looks like the Austrian state bird to me, but it could be another. Eagles are a popular motif. I think the animals to the side are what are called Griffins. Cool, in any case. I love Damascene!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Actually the bird in the middle reminded me of a griffin Smiley Wink the creatures on the side look like winged sphinxes to me.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Looks more blue like lapis to me

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Prussian I think that might have been what I was thinking I thought the lapis thing looked touristy too

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

searched a little more and the bracelet might have something to do with the Dutch East Indies but could not find anything further

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

lapis would probably be set in silver at least, imho. The veining looks more like sodalite to me.

As for the earrings, Id lean more towrds Persian turquoise than Sleeping Beauty, esp if they were mideastern in origin.

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I'd guess either glass or Persian turquoise on the filigree one, and I unfortunately don't have the link to the site somebody once gave me with the Egyptian marks. I'm pretty sure the mark is Egyptian though. Much about the stones will depend on what the mark tells you about the metal purity.

The center motif on the bracelet is definitely an eagle, though - griffins have eagle heads and wings, and lion bodies.

All digital cameras are odd about the way they handle blue and colors containing blue. It's something in the nature of digital imaging. Somebody here did a post about it - you need image editing software and to play with the hue levels until what's on your screen matches the piece in hand.

Agree with Cleio that the veining in the blue piece looks more like sodalite than lapis. I don't handle a lot of natural stone but I wouldn't expect gray veins in lapis. It does look like an awfully bright blue for sodalite; can it have been dyed or enhanced? I've heard that sodalite is sometimes used as "faux lapis."

flotsamlogo
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I looked at the sight for Egyptian marks and I didn't find it it did resemble their marks but could also be Iraqi or?? I thought it was sodalite but wanted another opinion. The bracelet still has me stumped! Thank you e1

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The filigree earrings might be Turkish or Persian (Iranian), too. That style was/is popular across the region.

I still think the blue stones look more like Sodalite. The grey veins are not typical of lapis. Sometimes it can be hard to tell from a pic, though.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The low grades of lapis lazuli can have a lot of white calcite ,Google the stone and look at the "images" section.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

I didn't even remember to think Turkish

Message 15 of 15
latest reply