cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with stone please

Stones are my weak point. I was thinking moonstone but second guess myself. I have not cleaned it but it changes colors from blue to gray and looks to have black specks in it. It is marked sterling  I think it is older as it has been testeted so many times little chunks missing. I usually dont buy rings like this but this one was speaking to me lol

20150726_083517.jpg20150726_083607(1).jpg20150726_083539.jpg

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Help with stone please

Looks like it wants to be a Labradorite . Something looks a little off though . The color looks a little weak or something .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

I will soak it in some warm soap water and see if I can get a better picture

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

I looked up Labradorite it isnt that no lines running through it. The black is for lack of better words specks

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Mermaid the stone has like a film on it you can see it in the picturesI soaked it in warm water and dawn maybe I need to soak longer any ideas?

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

I can see the film . Odd that it will not come off with dawn . Have you tried a soft toothbrush ?

I've been sitting here trying to figure out if your stone is man made or just a really low grade labradorite . I have seen labradorite's with black specks in them . Generally they have a darker grey color to them than rainbow moonstone . Which yours seems to have . Can you take a picture head on for me . No angles , just facing the camera , I'm curious .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

There is no film on the stone,it is abraded from wear. Rainbow moonstone is just a "trade" name for labradorite.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Ah ok ....so it's just a less colorful form of Labradorite . That's why the similarities .
It always seems like Rainbow moonstone is like a milky white to dove grey and Labradorite is a darker grey . I guess Rainbow Moonstone is just a washed out Labradorite . Interesting .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Oddly the abrasions make this look like a nice piece of saphhiret glass. Could it be iolite? It shows that color shift too, and it's not a terribly hard stone.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Hmmm it does not really have that violet color that iolite has .

Looked it up , Holly is correct , a quick google search says that Rainbow Moonstone is a COLORLESS form of Labradorite . I feel like I keep learning this and do not retain the info for some reason . Committing to memory banks again !

Sunshine , be careful though . Moonstone is a completely different gemstone than Rainbow Moonstone .

Mermaid 🐳
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Labradorite. Not the nicest labradorite stone but one nevertheless.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

Whatever the going vernacular, it is certainly some variety of feldspar. You've seen better, and I've seen worse ^_^

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

I am so confused even more maybe because I am tierd. I didnt soak it long at all and I used a soft toothbrush. I still say there is a film as I took my nail and scratched it and I could see where it came off. I was thinking maybe someone cleaned it with tooth paste over the years. I dont know just thinking out loud lol 

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

I looked at what everyone said and it is a rainbow moonstone. Now how do I clean it? Mermaid what am I being careful of?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Help with stone please

If you can peel off something w/your fingernail then maybe someone coated it after abrasion took its toll. The feldspars are fairly soft stones. And coating with whatever's on hand is surely cheaper than having it properly re-polished.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply