cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with an old? brooch/pin with unusual dark red glass cabochons. TIA :)

The glass is such a dark red, it looks black. Measures 1 3/4" by 2 1/4" across. Help/thoughts with age, style, type appreciated as always!

DSC05544.jpg

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

DSC05542.jpg

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

That`s lovely!

I`m never sure when seeing this style of metal, if it is considered Stamped or Repousse. They both look the same to me. Cat Embarassed

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Simulated dark garnet glass?  Oh, and they look more faceted than rounded like cabs.   I like it!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

my first thought was 30's, but seeing the back it could be later

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

In my non expert opinion, this is stamped, repousse is hand work, someone working on a piece sitting is something soft like tar, hammering away to indent the design from the back. It typically has multiple levels and is irregular because it is hand work. A piece like this with regular shapes, depth and sharp edges is stamped - and lovely! I think you can call the dark red stones garnet rhinestones 🙂
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I agree with stamped brass and faceted red garnet glass stones all prong set..and 30's or 40's for sure. Beautiful 🙂

Message 7 of 7
latest reply