cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a japanned set please

Snatched up this beauty yesterday and was wondering if ya'll have ever seen anything like this with the fake flower stems attached, It came on the cord but it's a brooch really. I noticed while taking pics that the one earring is smashed 😞 I am afraid to bend it back for fear of breaking it.

Does this look familiar to anyone?? would you just sell as a set or break it up and put the earrings in a repair lot??

mayebay15 005.jpg

mayebay15 011.jpg

This other pair of earrings by Anson say Karat Clad do you think that is moonstone on onyx??

mayebay15 023.jpg

Thanks in advance  🙂

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

That set is lovely!  Prolly gonna be hard to pinpoint as so many mfgs did the Japanning. 

But it reminds me of Austria pcs

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

I personally don't think the little flowers are original to this set.  If they are, then I agree with Sarah in it possibly being Austrian.

Are you sure that this is a Japanned set or could it possibly be gun metal?  

Yeah trying to get the earring straighten could be touchie.  I have had sucess in using a needle nose pliers on the bent part making sure not to put pressure on the soldered portion of the connection.  I generally hold my thumb on that part of the clip and then gently ... very gently straighted it.  Delicate, but can be done.  

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

It wouldn't surprise me if they are natural stones, gold plated jewellers is often set with real stones. Most onyx is dyed anyway.Charm
Charm Affair or Charm
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks everyone 🙂 

Sandy I do believe the flowers are original cause it's shaped like a "tussy mussy" where they are inserted. I am almost sure it's just a japanned setting as it looks like some of the paint is wearing off under one of the clipbacks. I am going to try to bend it back thanks for the hints on how to 🙂

Charm , I think you're right on. The "moonstone" light travels when you turn the piece. Thank you !!

You can't fix crazy but you sure can document it.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply