cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with a Winged Hippocampus brooch-Thanks for looking!

I was super excited to find this, as a lover of mythical creatures-a hippocampus pretty much tops the list! Based on the pics when I purchased it, I thought it was celluloid and it was very dirty. After cleaning, I thought maybe cold cast porcelain, but it's probably some kind of plastic or resin as that's more what it feels like-warm and smooth. Measures a little over 2" by 2 1/2" across. Pretty good condition other than mid tail fracture. Any ideas on age, material? Help appreciated as always, and Happy heart Day Smiley Happy

DSC00237.JPGDSC00238.JPG

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

I can't help but it sure is neat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

As Good as It Gets I absolutely love this movie
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Cool!  

But danged if I don`t need a refresher course in reading!

Was expecting to see a winged hippopotamus

Cat Embarassed

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Based on the way that the pin is attached to the back my guess would be early plastic.  It also appears as though there are actually two pices that are attached together.  Again, because of the way that it attaches looks like plastic to me.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Sarah , 

Your so crazy ! Funny too ! 

Mermaid 🌺

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it is two pieces-the backing is made of a thin goldtone metal. Do you think 50's/60's or earlier? Thanks for replies Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

My guess on the age of this great pice would be late 40s to mid 50s.  It's a great piece.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thanks for the compliment-I agree!! Don't know if I will be able to part with it. I don't usually get attached to the jewelry I buy, especially something like this that may bring a good price-but this definitely may be the exception!!

Message 8 of 8
latest reply