cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in describing this reverse painting brooch?

Another auction find!  Getting ready to list it and I think the Victorian figures are painted in reverse.  Back is solid and it is unsigned.  So is this an example of reverse painting?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Tthe image looks like they're doing the minuet.

TEX
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

The experts may need to see a pic of the entire back. 

TEX
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

To me it looks like a Goldtone (one word) Transfer applied to the front of the stone.

It might be intended to look like a reverse /negative image or Silhouette.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

One of the books (maybe CCJ 303?) shows this couple in many color variations - I agree that it is probably a transfer.

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I have looked again and I think that the Romantic Image (of the courting couple) might be based on /made to look like an Artist's Etching but I don't think that there is any safe way to use the keyword "Etching" to describe this as it has its own meaning in the jewelry world.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I'm attaching a picture of the back of the brooch.  The glass with the picture feels smooth so I think the picture has been added to the inside.  Just my guess.  Thanks everybody for the help!  Just want to list this correctly.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Are you sure it is not a reverse carving in glass with a plate over the back?
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

That's my question - how would you describe this painting?  Since the glass feels smooth then I'm guessing the painting was done on the inside.  Not sure if it is a painting or transfer.  I think an other response was it is not an etching.  So a question that I just want to list this correct.  Didn't see much for sale on EBAY that looks like this brooch.  Anyway else have any ideas!  Thanks everyone again for looking and trying to help me!!!!

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

For a generic descriptor try Fragonard.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

This Brooch is a real puzzle.

The way the back looks seems very different from any older vintage piece I have ever handled.

The strangest part of the solid back is how the settings for the rhinestones seem like front facing cones rather than flat or cups. Maybe that is an optical illusion.

Are the rhinestones and Cab in the center cold to the touch or warm?

Also, there appears to be marks on the pin itself.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I saw what you saw about the cups. After staring a bit they changed to back facing. Kind of like that optical illusion of the ballet dancer turning in one direction, then another? I too see a possible signature on the pin stem.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I enlarged this picture with control + and I think is says either made in Germany or West Germany.  And also I noticed there is a separate finding over the front, probaby the frame to hold the stone it place.  So we can't see the back of the stone at all. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@eyelore wrote:

I enlarged this picture with control + and I think is says either made in Germany or West Germany.  And also I noticed there is a separate finding over the front, probaby the frame to hold the stone it place.  So we can't see the back of the stone at all. 

I am glad you were able to get the mark to reveal itself 🙂

I think the main reason I am observing the image is on the front of the stone is that there is no noticeable reflection over the image which might happen if it were behind a layer of something.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

One point to keep in mind when you list this.  I do not believe this is a Victorian couple - from dress and the wig on the man, my estimate would be more like Colonial era. 

photo rose_zps07ff3a19.jpg
Kay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply