cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

French Deco style pin, rhinestones or marcasites ?

I have this 2+1/4" pin with frosted glass and red plastic marked 'MADE IN FRANCE'.

Looks Deco to me, not sure if it's actually from that era.

I want to restore the missing stones but I can't decide if they should be tiny rhinestones or marcasites.

I was able to find a similar one online with lilac glass and a different shape, also French and described as from the 1920's-30's. That one had clear rhinestones.

Does anybody know if this once held RSs or marcasites, also...any thoughts on age ?

TIA ! Smiley Happy

FRENCH1.jpg

FRENCH2.jpg

FRENCH3.jpg

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Don't know what it's supposed to have in it Cali, but jmo I think it would really be a knock out with marcasites.

Carolyn

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

It sure says Deco to me, Cali.  On the one hand, I think white rhinestones would make it pop and and give it an updated look.  On the other, marcasites would give it a more refined and understated look truer to the period.  It's going to look great either way.   It's got good bones!

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Thank you Carolyn and Dreams. I first thought 'originally marcasites' but I have found another similar one and that one had clear RSs as well. The cups that hold the stones are pointed and not flat, most marcasite settings I have seen are flat but that may not mean anything.

I think they were copying BOUCHERER fine jewelry that used rock crystal and real diamonds and gemstones in precious metals.

Right now I'm leaning toward RSs as the original stones.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Yes Crow, one of them. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

My inclination would be small sparking rhinestones.

I don't see prongs or bead settings, and to me this would be something that I'd consider in deciding whether to use marcasites or rhinestones. I know that this is not always true, but glued in marcasites  generally do not denote the best quality. Also, this probably started life with rhinestones, based on the shape of the cups that you describe, so I'd stick with the original look as much as possible.

This is going to be an absolute stunner when it's restored, either way. 

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Looks Deco to me Cali, I think marcasite and will look more when I return from Dr. office.. also looks carnelian.. and maybe lucite..

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

I would say it's probably galalith and will look stunning either way, with rhinestones or marcasites.

Have a Blingful Day!
Message 9 of 36
latest reply

What a great piece.  Very Deco looking.  I think it is older based on the construction.  What about black hematite rhinestones?  They would still hold true to the age of the piece, be the correct substitute for marcasites and would really make that piece pop.  

I would stick to rhinestones for the reasons that Arlene stated.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 10 of 36
latest reply

Thank you Everyone. heart

Another question, I don't know if this would have had vintage Swarovski RSs or another type, I want to be as accurate as possible for restoring.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

With the piece being made in France it could go either way, Swarovski or Czech.  If you chose to go with clear rhinestones remember that the number of facets in a rhinestone could come into play for accuracy, but not sure it really makes that big of a difference in the long run.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 12 of 36
latest reply

I agree older, have you tested it for silver?

I have a peacock borrch im in the process of restoring (it went through the washing machine Cat Sad), I know was originally marcasites. But the cups are pointed back rather than flat, so I have to make do with what I can find.  Wish I could find marcasties with pointed tops and bottoms

photo 0bd055e0-f76a-4f06-b6fc-f8dfa2c4abf8.jpgisn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Hi again Cali, after looking at some books and reading all the comments, I would say, If it were platinum it would be carnelian, diamonds, and frosted crystal, if it is sterling, marcasite, carnelian, and (still could be frosted glass or crystal.. If none of the above, Then rhinestone, carnelian,glass , and would look beautiful no matter how you refinish. It still has that Deco look for sure.. Can not wait to see what you do with it 🙂

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Thank you for all the help !

Doesn't test as sterling. Rain, the rectangle is glass, I believe the red is galalith and I think I'll go with RSs. Not sure I have the right size, I may need to order some, these are tiny, like size 6-8pp.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply