cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloisonne or enamel?

This bracelet caught my eye from the batch the other day.  It's mostly enameled on brass but there is a raised wire design in certain areas.  Not sure it would qualify as Cloisonne?  Also, I'm seeing sort of a Celtic design but I'm also seeing a hint of Asian.  I appreciate any help in describing this bracelet, and thanks as always!

enamelbracelet1.jpg

enamelbracelet2.jpg

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Cloisonne or enamel?

Dream.  My guess would be that this is 

• Champleve: French for “raised field” or “raised plain.” A technique in which enamel is inlaid into depressions in the metal, leaving metal exposed. The depressions are typically made by an etching process, although other methods exist. First done in the 3rd century AD by the Celts decorating their shields, this technique has been one of the favorite forms of enameling. 

Verses 

• Cloisonne: French for “cloison” or “cell.” A technique in which metal wires are bent to form a design; enamel is then inlaid into the resulting “cloisons.” Although this can be done in copper, contemporary cloisonné is most frequently done in silver or gold. The Byzantine Empire, 6th century AD, was the setting for gold cloisonne pieces of a religious nature. In the same time frame, the Japanese were producing scenes of nature. In China, cloisonné has been used since the 13th century AD. 

I like it!

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Cloisonne or enamel?

Sandy, WOW, and thanks for taking the time to respond with the two descriptions!  I forgot about Champleve.  Came across the term a while ago when researching another piece.  I think you are right that it is Champleve.  It seems to fit that description.  I really appreciate your help!

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Cloisonne or enamel?

Smiley Happy  Happy I could help.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Cloisonne or enamel?

Dream, this looks like Tara /Book of Kells Enamel which Celtic.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Cloisonne or enamel?

Great detective work, OCN!  I did some more googling and found a lot of similar examples.  Between you and Sandy, I know more about this bracelet than I did when I woke up this morning Smiley Happy.  Thank you!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Cloisonne or enamel?

You're welcome 🙂

Message 8 of 8
latest reply