cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carved Stone Necklace

Cute Asian Motif carved stone necklace. The small green bead must be jade/jadeite, but how about the stone? I'm thinking it's soapstone, but I notied some green when viewed from the bottom. Is this considered a "tourist piece"? Does it have a name? Looks like a monkey is riding a dragon on one side. 

IMG_3850.JPGIMG_3851.JPGIMG_3854.JPGIMG_3856.JPGIMG_3862.JPGIMG_3863.JPG

Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Carved Stone Necklace

Hi the whole piece is actual jadeite jade. Jadeite actually comes in many different colors like white, orangish brown, yellow, red, black, lavender, and the most coveted being an emerald green (imperial jadeite) The problem is whether or not the piece is treated; that is very difficult to tell and that's also where the different grades A, B, and C come from. A for untreated jade and B and C for acid treated, and acid treated+dyed, respectively. Most jadeite on the market especially the very colorful ones are acid treated (to rid of brownish and grayish stains, and to lighten the color)and impregnated with a clear polymer, sometimes with the addition of dyes. It's pretty difficult to tell if a jadeite piece is treated or not, that's why I'm usually wary of buying jadeite unless it is a antique piece or if  I can see it in the rough. Anyways, hope this helps; your carved piece is jadeite jade, but I can't say if is untreated or treated. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Carved Stone Necklace

Thank you for the education and taking the time to explain! Much appreciated. It helps tremendously.
Twitter: @BergenPickers
Message 3 of 3
latest reply