cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone help with this HAR pin?

I was so excited to find one, I didn't really look at the piece like I should have done before purchasing......When I got home all excited showing my husband my what I thought was a fabulous buy he then shows me the missing stones....Ugh So I have been researching this piece for hours and can't seem to find any 2 exactly the same. There are a few of the small pink ab stones and the pin bar is bent easy fix for someone however there is a stone missing on his right sleeve that seems to vary by the pieces I can find on line however the sone that is nesteled under his sleeve of his left hand is my huge question those online are  green stone and him is like a crystal ball type stone that has a chip in it......I can't find any piece on line that has the crystal ball stone with this Asian budda guy...I have seen a few boardies post on HAR so I always keep my eye open for one....Thought I got lucky but after inspecting the piece once I got home....Not so much

P1250021.JPG

P1250022.JPGP1250039.JPG

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Outside my g-gma's jewelry box I'm no true joolie, but if I may...?

If it seems like no two pieces are quite alike, then maybe that can be used to your advantage. No help for a chipped stone, sorry - but for instance the example of this I see in Illusion Jewels, for all I could tell from the pic that sleeve stone could've been amazonite. That, for one, should not be at all hard to replace. If you know where to look.

Or would that be sacrilege?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Not sure if this will help but I found a few of these on google using "HAR Laughing Chinaman" which lead to "Happy Chinaman" so even though it is not PC maybe try reseaching using "Chinaman"?

I don't have an account but one of the results I had lead me here:

http://www.worthpoint.com/inventory/search?categoryurl=&query=HAR+Chinaman&search-right=

I looked at a few and it looks like there are faux peking glass /Czech speckled art glass stones used.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

p.s. The stone in some looks like it is a nugget or similar not a cab.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Thanks! The one on mine that is missing...I found that some on line look like a nugget of sort while a few others appear just to have dimples....If that makes any sense. The color of the green could just be a variation in the monitors. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I think I might have been confused. The stone that is clear in your pin, all seem to be a dark jade green or speckled on the images I found. If jade green is correct than the replacement could be easy?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

I found the same mine appears clear in the picture but it is more like a crystal ball as it picks up coloring from lighting? If that makes sense...almost like images of color appear in it depending on the lighting...So at this point I'm not sure if that stone is original or if it has been replaced and was just trying to figure that part out before listing my horrible buy....

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

They are also called Coolie Man.

I looked through all the ones I could find on the net and none of them have the crystal ball like yours.

I'm wondering also if it was replaced from the green ones. 

From what I can see, it looks like the crystal doesn't go with the rest of the stones.

Like it doesn't blend with the others.

But that's just my non-expert opinion.

It's still a cool find. I really like it. Smiley Happy

TEX
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Even with the missing or chipped stones that is one heck of a find! Congrats!! So happy for you! 

I know these generally fetch a pretty decent penny, so even with some condition issues (assuming your selling) you should still see a good price if you sell. Hopefully you can find some replacements to capitialize. Even if you don't, it is so awesome to find one of these.

You must be so excited! I know I would be! 😄 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I had never seen the term Coolie before so I googled it just now and found in some instances it is considered Racist. I think for this Pin though it refers to the type of hat the man is wearing?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

A rare Har China Man pin is what you have with a replacement stone that is not original to the piece. You are right to be excited about it and you can find replacement stones for the piece. Look at the ones posted  with the original stones on the internet for determining the type of replacement. If you sell it ethically you should state that the stone is a replacement. Look for replacement stones on  Mr Stones website. He sometimes has vinatge stones and replacement stones that may match. You still have a  very valueable item. 

@old.crows.nest wrote:

I had never seen the term Coolie before so I googled it just now and found in some instances it is considered Racist. I think for this Pin though it refers to the type of hat the man is wearing?

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Coolie is a term you'll find in older books - I think it was originally a Westernized Chinese word for a laborer. Probably most commonly found today in "coolie hats" - the pointed hats stereotypically seen on Chinese laborers, peasants, and sometimes travelers. What this fellow is wearing isn't a coolie hat, it's the kind of hat that goes with his rich robe. He looks like a mandarin so try that as your search term.

flotsamlogo
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Thanks everyone for you feedback, not really excited the piece will be sold AS IS for the new owner to repair the stone missing seems to appear in both light and dark green and in a fushia color. And I was affraid that the crystal ball stone was not original now only adding to the mix. I think this will be a very expensive lesson on my end.Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

For a piece this good, even as is might do better than you expect.

flotsamlogo
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Hi! Here's a link to a website that shows the pin in it's original condition.

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/collectHar.html

http://www.morninggloryantiques.com/imagesH/Har/har61749.jpg

Good Luck! ArtJunquie:)

Message 15 of 15
latest reply