cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to refund a buyer

I give 30 days for returns - no reason needed - buyer just needs to return the item and then I refund them to their PayPal account.  I have a buyer that wants to return a sterling silver bracelet claiming she broke out in a rash so the bracelet must not be sterling.  I know it is sterling but I told her I would refund her once I recieved the bracelet.  She asked me for a label.  I told her that i didn't do labels but would be happy to refund her again once she returned the item.  My plan is to go to my jeweler and make sure it is sterling.  (It is marked sterling.)  I guess my question is to everyone is - how to do handle returns?  I have only had to do 2 or 3 returns in the past couple of years.  So most everyone is happy with what I sell.  I just found her reason strange but happy to refund the purchase just mot the postage for the return.  Now if I find that the bracelet does not test out sterling then I will also refund her postage cost.  Interested in what others think,  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Did you let the buyer know that you would be having the bracelet tested? If not, you can tell her your plans, it's not like that is unreasonable. Is it the woven Italian one? I think it would be easy to get a rash from that style unless it was cleaned really well. Not saying you're selling dirty items, just that stuff could get trapped in the design. I have a woven/braided silver ring so I have a little experience with that Smiley Wink 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Even if Sterling people can react to alloys. I used to have issues.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Unless you want to wait & see if she files a claim thru Ebays Returns (where the option is there for you to allow them to do the return label)  I`d go ahead & message her your mailing address & that she will be refunded upon receipt of item.

~~~Sarah~~~There's only ONE bad day when you love an animal
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Whether you can prove the bracelet is sterling or not, the fact that the buyer's arm broke out upon wearing it (so she says) will trump the sterling silver issue.  You didn't say whether she wrote you through ebay messages or filed a case as Sarah mentioned.  Either way, it will be best to issue a complete refund including shipping because in the end ebay will surely side with this buyer.  I'd refund her, block her, relist, and get her out of my head as soon as possible because these things have a way of taking on a life of their own.  Sorry about the return, dins Smiley Sad.

I'm not a hoarder! There's a price tag on everything!
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I agree - once I get the bracelet back I will give her a full refund.  I'm thinking I do have a cat.  I don't allow her to mess with anything I am selling but I do get surprised on where I find cat hair.  Also I do buy from estate sales and auctions.  Who knows where the bracelet has been.  EBay does like it when you deal directly with the buyer.  The buyer does not need to open a case.  This buyer was nice and I understand her issue.  It is very easy to go to PayPal and issue a refund.  Just had a sale on a tablecloth and the buyer thought my shipping was high.  I told her once I had her address and if the shipping was over I could refund her back a little of the shipping cost.  Again easy to do with PalPay.  Thank you everyone for the advice.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Rest of the story as Paul Havery used to say - she started the refund process and so I agreed and sent her a label.  She will get the purchase price back once I get the bracelet.  Really interested in checking the bracelet out.  Thanks again everyone for the comments.  I do have some other tested sterling silver so I guess I will put all of it together as a lot and list once I get the bracelet back.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply